Can lifting arms up and stretching 2 weeks post op surgery widen half moon Gynecomastia scars?

Resuming Activity Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Perhaps, this may help provide you some insight. Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing.

Stretching and lifting after surgery

Dear foreveryoung908,

Lifting your arms above your head and stretching or putting a tensile load on a gynecomastia incision is extremely unlikely to cause permanent injury, stretching or widening of the scar. In fact, if there is no dehiscence of the incision itself it is unlikely to cause any delay in healing.

I would check with your surgeon to revisit the specific post-operative range of motion instructions, but generally slow steady range in motion exercises of your elbow and your arms 2 weeks post-operatively will not cause injury to the incision line.

High impact lifting techniques or of pec major exercises may wait until 6 weeks.There are ways to improve a scar if it does undergo some trauma, injury or dehiscence and, so, I’d check with your operative surgeon as they are in the best position to give you the advice you need.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Thank you for your question.  At two weeks post-op, you are still in the beginning stages of the healing process.  Therefore, it is important that you follow up with your surgeon regarding this question, as the post-op protocol varies.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Post op activity

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about their recommendations for you post op. There will be medication and care which help relieve discomfort and assist with healing. Each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferred protocols for activity restriction.

All the best

I would request you not to overdo any physical movements that stress the operated area, for a few weeks. Routine movements, however, should not have any effect on the scars. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and incisions

Routine movement should not impact the incision. If you have concerns, speak with your surgeon......

Movement after Gynecomastia

Dear foreveryoung908,

It is best to avoid lifting anything heavier than 7 pounds and reaching your arms over your head for at least 4 weeks after gynecomastia surgery (ideally, limiting movement for 6 weeks is a great idea). By stretching and reaching you are putting tension on the incisions that are trying to heal, and this can lead to a wider scar than what is desirable. Hope this helps!