2 Weeks Post Fat Grafting Question. Could most swelling be gone at 2 weeks?

I'm 2 weeks post fat grafting to malar, buccal areas in cheek and temples. Doc and I agreed to transfer 30cc of purified fat, which he ended up using on my face. I feel like most of my swelling is gone: 1) Could most swelling be gone at 2 weeks? 2) Is this close to my final result? I know I'll lose some fat over next few months but how much is lost after 2 weeks? 3) Would 30cc give me a substantial (noticeable) correction? I asked for that and hope to see a "fuller" version of myself. Thank you.

Facial Fat Transfer

After facial fat grafting, it usually takes 2 weeks for swelling to resolve.  After that, over the next 2 to 3 months, the fat will continues to heal in its new location.  Your retention should be approximately 50 to 75%.  Whether this is an adequate volume will depend on how much volume depletion you had prior to surgery.  Thank you for your question.

Swelling Post Fat Grafting

Thank you for your question. Swelling typically dissipates six weeks post surgery. If you have any concerns please follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon directly. All the best. 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting and swelling

Dear Anonymous59,

Thank you for your clinical post. Fat grafting to the face can be an excellent way to provide volumization and shape to deflated or developmentally under projected and volumized areas of the face. Everybody heals differently from surgery, however, one would not expect the swelling from the fat grafting to be gone at 2 weeks, but rather most swelling following this procedure can take between 6 and 12 weeks to resolve. Generally most of the swelling is gone at 3 months and any fat cells that were going to survive, pick up a blood supply and thrive in the recipient area would have been stabilized by 3 months. I would anticipate a more long-term result will be visualized at this 3-6 month mark. Any contour shape enhancement of your face at this point should be stable fat grafts then will grow or shrink depending upon your metabolic and caloric status.

From a quantitative perspective it is a very common number 33 cc’s of fat grafting to multiple facial areas and in general we would anticipate between 30-70% fat graft survival depending on the technique deployed and a number of factors related to the recipient and donor site.

It would be important that you maintain contact with your operative physician as they are in the best position to understand how the procedure was performed and what the endpoints of your fat grafting outcomes should be.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Fat grafting and swelling

Everyone heals differently, but I doubt that your swelling is almost completely gone by two weeks. This often takes 6-8 weeks minimum and often residual swelling can last 4-6 months.

Fat transfer to face

Thanks for question but hard to answer completely without pre and post pictures to see if 30 cc of fat is enough. As far as swelling, it would be unlinkely that ALL of your swelling has resolved by 2 weeks.  Everyone's body reacts differently to surgery so we usually talk in general.
I tell my patients to wait at least 3 months to see their final result.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon