Is 17 years old too young to have juvederm lip fillers?

I am 17 years old and am considering getting 1 syringe of juvederm in my lips. I have seen people with very uneven results, particularly a women who worked at the clinic I was considering going to. I am now scared to do this as she even told me that I should not do it because she regrets it. Is uneven lips a result of juvederm overtime after multiple injections?

Lip augmentation for 17 year olds

Dear Hudsonsbay,

In general, performing cosmetic procedures in teenagers is something I try to avoid. I find it is difficult to come to terms with a confident sense of self during teenage years without complicating it with cosmetic plastic surgery, either surgical or nonsurgical. However, as you grow older, you may decide to do cosmetic lip enhancements, using Juvéderm®, Restylane® or other lip filler substances.

In general, lip augmentation can be performed very subtly and expertly, with nice, even lips that look natural and attractive, not ducky, irregular and asymmetrical.

It is very important, when you are old enough, that you do seek the advice and expertise of an injection physician with years of experience. I have been performing cosmetic injections using Juvéderm® and other substances, as well as Botox® and cosmetic plastic surgery, for 20 years. Lip augmentation is one of the common things I perform.

For more information, please review the link below.

I trust this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.
Sincerely,
R. Stephen Mulholland, MD
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Juvederm and lips

Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane are all fabulous injections for the lips.  However, what is most important is the skill of the dermatologist who is injecting the product into your lips.  It is both an art and a science to inject the lips properly.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who has a great deal of experience with facial injections for the best cosmetic results.

Is 17 years old too young to have #Juvederm #lip #filler ?

Asymmetric or uneven lips following lip fillers is very uncommon. With regard to your age, you will need your parent's consent as your are still a minor. It is very important to find a highly experienced physician injector to reduce the risk of a result that you're not totally happy with. This is typically either a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no right or wrong age for lip fillers.
It depends on what you need  to achieve.
Of fundamental importance is the fact that both you and the injector should have the same goal in mind.
Judgement, technique and skill of the injector are probably the most important atributes. Product choice is of secondary importance. Having said that, a good injector will know the best product.
Stay clear of the clinic with uneven results.
All the best

The Right Age For Lip Fillers

Thanks for your question. There really is no right age for getting lip fillers. Some people are just born with thin lips and can benefit from fillers. If you are under the age of 18, however, consent from your parents needs to be obtained before treating you. As far as the results go, when done by experienced injectors there is minimal risk of significant asymmetry. Everyone has some degree of asymmetry, so they may not be perfect. But, in experienced hands your results should not look unnatural. That's why it's important to have before and after pictures for comparison and to look at your injectors before and after pictures prior to committing to the treatment. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Juvederm in Lips

I think that we try not to make decisions based on age alone. If you fully understand the risks and benefits and you have reasonable expectations then one might be considered for it.
Volbella is a nice product that very unusually yields bumps.

I'm not sure if there are age restrictions in Canada. But, in the U.S., anyone less than the age of 18 considering cosmetic treatment will require consent from a parent or guardian. Yes, uneven lips are a potential complication from any type of dermal fillers, even Juvederm. If you are considering having your lips augmented, consult with an experienced injector who will work with you to achieve your goals. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Juvderm Lip fillers for patients under 18

According to the Juvederm patient information, the safety in patients under 18 has not been established. Consult with expert and experienced physician injectors to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Lip augmentation with juvederm

1 syringe of Juvederm is an excellent method to get a subtle increase in fullness to the lips and lip edge. It is unusual to create an asymmetry with it as long as the injector has experience with lip injections. Lips are generally less forgiving than injecting under the skin and has to be done slowly with small amounts of filler done in each area. The result that you should expect is subtle augmentation, anything above that can easily look unnatural.

If patients have an asymmetry before the filler, it is easy to pick up on it afterwards. Pre-injection photos will be able to show any issues before the filler is done. I have had patients with a significant asymmetry who no look more symmetric after multiple rounds of lip filler over 2 years.

Good luck and anyways make sure your injector has the experience to get you the look you want.  I don't think 17 is too young as long as your motivations and expectations are appropriate.  

Michael Lipan, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider scheduling a consult with a few advanced injectors and discuss options.

Consider scheduling a consult with a few advanced injectors and discuss options. It is difficult to determine the cause of other people's uneven lips. A skillful injector should be able to fill lips symmetrically.

I suggest speaking with a expert injector about your concerns.

Martin Jugenburg, MD