Is this matting after Sclerotherapy? I had it done 1 week ago on my spider veins. (photos)

I had Sclerotherapy done a week ago on spider veins by a vascular surgeon. The rest of my veins are healing pretty well except this area looks bad to me. Is this matting?

Bruising, not matting

This is bruising, not matting.  Very common after sclerotherapy.  The dark brownish/ black areas are veins that responded to the sclerotherapy, but have some trapped blood.  

Sometimes draining this via a small needle stick will speed up the healing.  I also recommend Arnica gel to reduce the bruising and speed up healing.  This can be found over the counter at most drug stores.

All of this will get better with time.

Good luck to you,

Dr. Powell

Bruising, not matting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

All of this will get better with time.

Good luck to you,

Dr. Powell

Bruising after Sclerotherapy--Wear compression, follow up with Doctor

It is common to have bruising and swelling post sclerotherapy and you should be wearing compression for a few weeks to help limit any brown discoloration that can form. Please follow up with your physician if you continue to have concerns. Best, Dr. Emer

Post-sclerotherapy bruising

Thanks for your question. Your photo appears to show bruising, and not matting.  Be sure to go back and discuss your concerns with the surgeon who injected you; if they are well trained and experienced they would really prefer that you discuss these concerns with them. They may even have suggestions to help these areas look better faster! Best of luck to you.

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Post-sclerotherapy bruising

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy bruising

The picture appears to show some large veins that have been closed with sclerotherapy with associated bruising.  Because these veins are larger than spider veins, anticipate that they may take 4-6 weeks or longer to completely clear.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Sclerotherapy bruising

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Post sclerotherapy bruising.

The posted pictures do no show matting but rather post sclerotherapy bruising and clotting of some veins.  This is normal following a sclerotherapy treatment at the one week point.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Post sclerotherapy bruising.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Vein Clearing after sclerotherapy.

The picture you posted appears to show bruising and trapped blood on some of the larger veins treated.  This is not uncommon after sclerotherapy and should improve over time.  Clearing of larger veins can sometimes take  2-3 months or longer for complete resolution in some cases.  Draining of some of the trapped blood can often improve healing time and lessen risk of brownish discoloration to the area. Continue wearing your compression stockings for several weeks, and also avoid sun exposure to the area to avoid risk of worsening discoloration. Its also a good idea to follow up with your doctor for any concerns.

Vein Clearing after sclerotherapy.

Is this matting after Sclerotherapy?

Thanks for your question. 

It is really too early to be concerned, in my opinion. Your surgeon should be able to give you the best advice after an exam. Follow the directions provided by your doctor and re-evaluate in another week. If you have greater concern then contact your surgeon sooner. 

Is this matting after Sclerotherapy?

Thanks for your question.