Why is there not a simple skin tuck to pull the loose skin up and eliminate the loose skin?

To continue with details on why the neck skin is not just pulled up under the ears and surgically attatched. When I gently pull the skin under my jaw bone, toward my ear just a little bit, the loose skin tightens up nicely. The wrinkles go away! Would it not be easy to do this surgically too, bring that skin back to under the ear and perminently attach it there with staples or sutures?

Takemywrinkles, thank you for your question. I get asked this during many of my consultations. I bet you are putting your fingers half way between your chin and ear and pulling up the neck skin while pushing toward the ear. Most of my patients do the same. The problem is if we make our incisions where your fingers touch your face it will leave very visible scars.

Placing the incisions in a more inconspicuous location just in front and in back of the ear to hide the resultant scar requires the location of pull much further away and wider dissection and more pull. Also, the underlying muscles and soft tissue are being moved as your fingers put pressure on all the layers to the bone.

We ALL wish it were that easy to make a small incision around the earlobe and correct the neck, but the complex anatomy does not allow this.

I hope this answers your question.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Simple facelift

If you try to duplicate what describe surgically, the skin will drop be tailored properly. There will be areas of puckering and gathering that will look terrible.  You need the cheek and neck lifted as one large unit in order for it to red tape properly and look natural.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Variations on facelifts

Isolated neck lifts can be performed in the right situation.  However, often times there is a significant contribution by drooping deeper facial tissues (muscle and fascia) that are optimally tightened as part of a facelift which then greatly improve the result in the neck.  But, you may be able to have a neck lift without the upper facelift.  See a good facelift surgeon and they will properly direct you.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

A neck lift can be done with an incision from the earlobe to the posterior ear.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Facelifts are customized to individual need

Every person has slightly different effects of aging and so facelifts are adjusted to individual needs. Sometimes this is a relatively simple procedure involving mostly skin but usually aging is more than a little sagging skin. For example, the "turkey wattles" are related to a muscle called the platysma under the skin in the neck; so even though tugging on the skin makes them appear to go away, they won't disappear with only a surgical skin tuck. There was an idea around a few years ago called the threadlift which basically did what you describe, only the results were temporary.

Richard Baxter, MD

Loose neck skin

You are describing a loose neck skin problem, and in my office we do a necklift with oral sedation and local anesthesia to correct this problem. In 1 to 2 hours you will have all the loose neck skin removed for years to come; comfortably, safely, and totally naturally looking. The local anesthesia is very comfortable, and the cost savings and added safety are fantastic. You can inquire about this at 305-974-0505. Sutures are also placed into the muscles and fascia to help elevate and hold the structures in place.

Facial aging is due to more than just loose skin.

without a picture it's hard to comment but there is a misconception that facelifts exclusively remove only excess skin. Facelifts also move around structures that provide a more youthful volume to the face.

Face lift

This is done with a face lift. The problem is not loose skin but loose deep tissues.

If you just remove skin, nothing permanent happens because the skin loosens at once if the deep tissues are tightened to support it.

A facelift is more than a skin lift

Many thanks for posing your question - it is one that I am often asked during facial rejuvenation consultations.

Whilst on the outside, sagging and loosening appears to be a skin problem, it is actually the deeper tissues (the SMAS and platysma) that are the problem. These are the soft tissue framework of the face and neck, which loosen and descend with age, dragging the skin with them.

Therefore, modern facelift techniques aim to reposition the SMAS where it used to be, followed by gentle redraping of the skin, to achieve the best scars possible, and the most natural post-operative appearance.

Simply pulling the skin tight and cutting off the excess leads to a wind tunnel look, with unsightly scars and a short-lived results as the skin gradually stretches again.

I hope that explains things for you.

Skin Tuck To Pull The Loose Skin Up?

What you are describing is a facelift. The only way to rid yourself of excess skin and tissue, and tighten the supporting tissue, is with a facelift. There are no magic solutions for this. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation, and to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD