Is There Any Way to Correct my Nose Without Surgery? (photo)

I'd honestly never really noticed that my nose was crooked until recently when someone did one of these facial symetry tests on me. I'm not sure how it ended up like that, I dont think it was as crooked as a child. Is there any way to improve the appearance without surgery?

Non-surgical options Can Help With a Crooked Nose- Just Not For Your Nose

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is, no you really can't correct your nose without surgery. It is quite crooked. Sometime a filler can be used to add symmetry. In your case however, adding filler to your left side (which would balance the bend to the right) would make your nose appear way too wide. The only way to straighten your nose would be to break it and move it back to the middle. Sorry- no other way to do this. Remember,  just because we can do something doesn't mean that we have to do it. The other important question to ask yourself is whether or not this really bothers you enough to even be thinking about this. You stated that you had never really noticed it until someone else pointed it out to you. If you didn't even notice it, and if it doesn't bother you, then who cares if it's crooked. Many offices offer computer imaging as a part of their consultation. This would show you what your nose would look like if it were straight and may be the information you need to decide if it makes sense to go forward. Good luck.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can filler be used to "straighten" your nose?

Thank you for providing the attached photos. While filler material can be used to reshape the nose or fill in depressed areas of the nose, this treatment is not effective for straightening the nose. Cutting of the nasal bones and straightening them would be required as part of a rhinoplasty surgery. Unfortunately, since the issue is that the bone and cartilage of the nose is crooked, there is no non-surgical option to camouflage or straighten that crookedness. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

No Surgery

Surgery is required to reposition the nose, with all its anatomical attachments, because your nose is severely deviated to the right.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Usually a crooked nose will need surgery to straighten it

It sure looks like you will need surgery to straighten your nose.  If there is an acute injury and the nose appears crooked I will immediately straighten it in the office operating room with sedation.   If it seems crooked but was injured more that 4 weeks before it will need straightening.  Of course fillers can hide curves but there is no safe permanent fill which works.....sorry.

Thomas W. Loeb, MD

How can you correct a crooked nose?

The question you’ve asked is a great one, with an answer that’s somewhat complex - please bear with me. While it is absolutely possible to to balance out minor nose humps, bumps and asymmetries non-surgically, this is not, unfortunately, something I would recommend in your particular case. This is because a non-surgical rhinoplasty is performed through the use of dermal fillers injected under the skin to add volume to certain areas to bring them forward and augment the shape. Although this often works well for patients with small bumps, notches or dents in the nose (you can liken the procedure to filling a hole with sand), in your case these injections would need to take place on the entire left side of the nose and would add quite a bit of width to the front of your nose, which would likely look more conspicuous than the initial asymmetry.

Now, we can look at surgery as well - but fixing a crooked nose surgically isn’t always cut and dry, either. Often, my patients can expect improvement to their crooked shape but, as with all things in nature, straight lines are rare. It is not possible to completely straighten a twisted nose because it is not possible to completely straighten cartilage - a flexible material with memory and intrinsic shape. If patients are comfortable with the above then I will often perform computer imaging during their consultation to give them an idea of what a realistic result might look like. Change is possible, but I recommend all patients carefully weigh the risks versus the benefits - especially in your case, as you mentioned this issue has never bothered you previously.

Finally, you may want to consider getting creative with makeup. Many of my patients (particularly post-op rhinoplasty patients) will use makeup contouring to reduce the appearance of swelling after surgery while they heal and wait for their final results. I expect the same techniques could be used to balance one side of the nose versus the entirety if you’re willing to practise and experiment a bit. Best of luck!

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal deviation and surgery

A true septal deviation can be corrected by surgery. Sometimes, fillers can improve asymmetry, but a consultation and exam may help in making that decision.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

nonsurgical rhinoplasty for crooked nose

A nonsurgical rhinoplasty cannot fix a crooked nose. Medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones will need to be performed to straighten the nasal bones. A tip last he will also be required to straighten the tip of the nose. 

Non-surgical correction of nose?

From your photo it looks like your tip might deviate towards your right side. This might be due to a deviated septum. This cannot be corrected without surgery. Go for a consultation just to be sure.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty with fillers

Fillers like Restylane, Juvederm and Perlane can certainly be used in some cases to straighten a mildly crooked nose or improve a small hump. From your photo, it is evident that the bones and cartilage are extremely off center. Filler would make your nose look very odd and wide. Your best bet is to consider having a septorhinoplasty by a reputable surgeon.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a Crooked Nose without Surgery

If fillers were used to correct your crooked nose you would have a very wide nose. The only way to improve the appearance and function of your crooked nose is with surgery.