Will Using the Clarisonic Brush Cause Botox to Wear off More Quickly?

Using the clarisonic brush 2x daily on rental setting. Does this cause Botox injections to disappear more quickly than without use of the brush?

Using the Clarisonic Brush WILL NOT Cause Botox to Wear off More Quickly

The motions of the brush CANNOT deactivate the Botox and shorten its duration BUT it could push the Botox out of the areas into which it was placed and into areas it was NOT meant to be in, causing unintended muscle weakness. I would suggest NO rubbing toward the upper lids or using the brush for 36-48 hours after Botox treatment.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Will Using Clarisonic Affect Botox Results?

Hi SKM.  Your Botox results should not be affected by use of Clarisonic devices.  As a precaution, we would not recommend using the Clarisonic immediately after you have had Botox injected (within several hours).  This is a precaution to prevent unwanted migration of the Botox.

The fundamental issue here is that Botox is placed in the muscle and Clarisonic works on the surface of the skin, the stratum corneum.  This is the dead skin cell layer and the Clarisonic works to remove excess dead skin cells, like microdermabrasion.  Because the Clarisonic operates at the surface, it will not interfere with the Botox.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

No, the Botox will be absorbed within minutes by the muscles and any action on the skin's surface will have no effect on the Botox or its duration of action, IMHO.

Clarisonic and botox

I have not seen any stdies to compare with and without clarisonic but my  guess would be that once the botox effect has taken place there will be no difference.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Clarisonic has no effect on Botox

A Clarisonic ultrasound brush should have no effect on your Botox treatment. Botox is injected directly into the muscle to relax it.  The Clarisonic brush treats just the skin.  

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Clarisonic

Wait at least two hours after receiving Botox injections to use your Clarisonic brush to allow the product to be integrated into the intended location. After that time the Clarisonic brush should not interfere with the action of Botox and should not cause the Botox to wear off more quickly.

Botox works by blocking the communication between the nerves and muscles. Once it is placed it not affected by the light vibrations on the overlying skin generated by the Clarisonic.

In our San Francisco Bay Area practice we have many happy patients that use a Clarisonic with no problems with the length of effect of their Botox. 

As always questions or concerns regarding your procedure should be disucssed with your provider.

Clarasonic and Botox

Activated Botox will nest in the nerve terminals and mucle receptors, the rest washes away and is eliminated. Since the nerves, and the muscles they innervate, are deep to the skin, any superficial application whether it be a chemical peel or Clarisonic application, will have no affect on your Botox. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox and the Clarisonic Brush

Using the Clarisonic Brush will not affect the Botox at all.  Truly, once the Botox has been injected there is nothing that you can do as far as the Clarisonic, cleansing or using lotions or sunscreens, etc. that will affect it.  You should hold off on any vigorous masssaging for a few hours after the injections, but that's about it.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox and using the Clarisonic Brush

Within 20 to 90 minutes after Botox is injected, botulinum neurotoxin type A can be detected inside the motor nerve endings. Therefore the muscles and nerve endings take up the Botox very quickly before it can spread far from the injection site. I tell my patients they are free to do anything they choose 1 1/2 hours after their injections which includes using their Clarisonic brush.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Not going to have any effect.

I would recommend not performing the skin treatment for a couple of days after the BOTOX service.  Allow the skin to heal.  This extremely mild skin buffing treatment will not cause your BOTOX to wear off faster.