Why is my right nipple pointing up at 9 weeks post breast augmentation? Why do I feeling discomfort in my right breast? (Photo)

My right breast is tighter and firmer and sometimes it aches and uncomfortable. It has been slow at dropping compare to the left one and now I'm noticing my right nipple is pointing up. Is it because it's not dropped yet? Is it normal to feel warmth especially after massaging on my right breast? Is it normal for my right pectoral muscles to be still tight and not letting the implant drop at this point after surgery? I'm terrified that I might be experiencing complications or need a revision.

Breast asymmetry

Breasts typically have a little asymmetry both before and after surgery. If you are right hand dominant, it might take a little longer for this side to heal because you are using the muscles more than on the left. You also may have had some pre-existing asymmetry adding to the over all mild differences you are seeing.
I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon to discuss massage techniques for your right side, have photos taken so that changes can in appearance can be followed (as well as compared to pre-op), and they can check to see if you might be developing a capsular contracture on the right side.
You might also incorporate Arnica Gel when you massage the right side to help with aching. Prescription pain creams are also available if the pain is severe. Ibuprofen might also help.
Your results look beautiful, even if the asymmetry doesn't resolve. Follow up with your surgeon for reassurance and advice.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation results

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you.

It is common to have implants settle at different rates. If your pre-existing anatomy has your breast creases or breast folds at different positions, they implants will settle to different places. So your preoperative anatomy has a lot to do with a final result. You most likely had some nipple position asymmetry too. You are still early so give it some more time.

BTW, you have a lovely result ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Right breast pointing 'up'

Siginificant changes can still occur over the first 3mo or so after surgery, and more subtle changes over the year following surgery. That being said, I think you have a good result which is well within the bounds of expected outcomes. 

I hope this helps!

Breast Augmentation Recovery

It can take some patients fro 3-6 months for their breasts to fully heal and drop/settle into their new position. It is also extremely common for each breast to heal/drop at a different rate. It sounds as if you are doing everything that you should be doing. However, to relieve your anxiety, why don't you schedule an appointment to see your surgeon? An in person exam is always the best answer.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Why is my right nipple pointing up at 9 weeks post breast augmentation? Why do I feel discomfort in my right breast?

Thank you for your question. At 9 weeks you can still be feeling discomfort from the surgery. Speak with your plastic surgeon and discuss your discomfort in detail. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation result

it is obvious from the very beginning of healing what kind of result a patient will get. Breast augmentation surgery is difficult and patients do not always realize what is involved in the process. Since breasts come in pairs it is normal for the patient to compare the two sides for symmetry and size. Your left breast is the side that is healing normal. Your right breast has a minimal bottoming out process. That means the support of the right breast implant is either lacking or not sufficient. To analyze your case fully I would need your before pictures to compare to the after pictures. If left alone you may have a slight asymmetry and nipple position. If this bothers you, a revision can be done to place ADM on the right breast to support the implant and lower the nipple a touch. This is a very good case for others to see.

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Great result after #breastaugmentation

You have a great result for 9 weeks post op. You're still healing so some differences particularly in your dominant side are normal. Your nipples likely were slightly off before surgery as the implants are in good position. The nipple asymmetry is giving the illusion that one has dropped more than the other! I encourage my patients to try aleve 2x/day every day for 2-4 weeks as long as their stomach doesn't get bothered and that can help a lot with the little tightness and soreness as you increase activity. Best of luck. #bancroftfeldman

Right nipple pointing upward

Without pre-op pictures to compare, it's hard to say what the postop result is. I would tell you though, that for the nipple to point upward the middle axis of the breast implant has to be below the nipple and not above the nipple. I would not be that concerned if you still felt some muscle stiffness two months post breast augmentation but do recommend that you discuss these findings and this small asymmetry with your plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your procedure I think you're well on your way to a beautiful result.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS