Is it possible to fix botched lip injections from Juvederm? (photos)

I got my lips done 2 weeks ago almost (on 11/17) with some type of juvederm. The swellings subsided except in the early morning, but my lips are totally misphapen and uneven and there are so many hard balls of product that feels gross and looks really lumpy and you can see them through my lips. I'm going back to the medspa Tuesday to ask for my money back (hopefully) and have emailed a plastic surgeon about fixing it. Is it possible to fix? I'm 23 and scared I ruined my face forever.

Hyaluronidase to the rescue--Reversing Juvederm

This can be reversed with hyaluronidase and you can try a different technique next time. I recommend using cannulas with lip injections to avoid complications. I suggest getting a formal consultation with an expert in lip augmentation. Best, Dr. Emer

Juvederm injections into lips

As you had the filler about 2 weeks ago, there could still be a small amount of swelling causing part of the distortion you see. However, the hard lumps of filler are likely just that - lumps of filler that haven't been distributed evenly. The good news is that since you had Juvederm, a hyaluronic acid filler, you can get those areas dissolved - with hyaluronidase and in addition, Juvederm is not a permanent filler so even if you didn't do anything about it, the lumps would eventually disappear as the product dissolves. I would recommend returning to your physician to have the product dissolved, at last partially, to resolved the asymmetry and bumps. You should be able to achieve a very beautiful outcome. Best of luck!

Lesley Rabach, MD

How can I fix my lip augmentation?

Hello killianmit,

Thank you for your question and photos. Good news your results are not permanent and can be remedied with the injection of hyaluronidase which will dissolve the filler placed and bring you back to square one. At this point you would essentially start over. It may be wise to consider another product of the juvederm family called Volbella that is less likely to cause the lumps and give a more smooth appearance. Also the amount of filler used will play a big role regarding these types of outcome. Remember the upper lip should not be the same size or larger than the lower lip when attempting to produce a more "natural" lip appearance. Be well. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Is it possible to fix botched lip injections from Juvederm?

It what you wee injected with was actually Juvederm, then it can be dissolved using a specific enzyme called Hyaluronidase. The enzyme starts working immediately, so you should see improvement the same day. You may need more that one dose. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Multiple bumps after Juvederm to lips - dissolve it

This is not a hard fix. Have the doctor inject hyaluronidase to dissolve this. It will take one or 2 treatments to fully dissolve. After waiting about a week, it can be re injected.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hello Killianmit,

The good news is that there should be no long term problems from your lip injections.  The results are not permanent.  Since it has already been two weeks most of your swelling would be gone.  So what you see now is close to what you would expect to have.  There is an enzyme that can be injected called hyaluronidase that will dissolve the product, assuming it was Juvederm or another HA filler that was injected.  Your case also highlights the importance of having your injections done by a physician in one of the core aesthetic fields (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, and dermatology).  This can help to minimize the risks of poor cosmetic results.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it's fixable.

If the product injected was indeed Juvederm, or one of its relatives in the HA family, the extra product that is lumpy can be dissolved with injections of the hyaluronidase enzyme.  That will get you back to baseline.

Then, your local PS or other talented injection specialist can start over, and help you get the lip shape you want.

Juvederm lumps in lips

Assuming this was Juvederm and not some other product, it may improve some over the next week or 2.  If it doesn't, you can have the filler dissolved with some Hyaluronidase injections.  They work very quickly to remove the filler and will take you back to your baseline. 

In the future, make sure you go to an experienced injector and limit the amount of filler injected.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip filler "botched"

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Your story highlights the importance of only seeing a board certified core physician for injections (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist) since we have the best understanding of facial anatomy and the most in depth training in injectable products.  I would make that appointment with the plastic surgeon. By the time you get in to see him or her (later this week or early next), you'll be around 3 weeks, which is generally more than enough time for the majority of swelling to have subsided. The filler material can be dissolved with a material called hyaluronidase. It actually works pretty quickly.  It's doubtful you'll see any long term effects from this misadventure. You can have your lips re-injected 1-2 weeks later if desired.  Good luck!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Depending on the amount of Juvederm placed you may need to allow for at least 3-4 weeks for the swelling to resolve and the filler material to soften to leave a more natural result and for the smaller bumps to dissolve.  If after this time you have continued asymmetry, or if you do not think you can wait that long, Juvederm can be dissolved with another medication called hyaluronidase that will leave you with your original lip appearance.  Hope this helps.