My top lip is uneven, should I wait before I get more filler to even out my lip? How long should I wait? (Photo)

I had Juvederm injections exactly four weeks ago. My top lip is uneven and I'm starting to feel self-conscious about it. The person who injected my lips said there could still be swelling and doesn't want to balance them out in case the swelling goes down and they look uneven again (told me to come back in two weeks - it has since been two weeks and nothing has changed)

Adding More Filler to Lips

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. At the four week mark it is definitely safe to add more filler to even out the top lip. In my practice, I usually have patients follow up two weeks after the initial treatment to evaluate whether more filler is needed. Your injector is correct that there can be residual swelling after lip injections, however at 4 weeks the swelling has likely resolved. A small amount to the right upper lip should even out your lips nicely. I also prefer to use the microcannula technique for filler injections, which is essentially bruise-less and reduces the risk of swelling. In the future, you might want to consider an injector who is experienced with this technique. Best of luck.

Lip injections

Swelling after lip injections lasts approximately 2 weeks.  If you haven't noticed any changes in the past two weeks it should be fine to consider further treatment.  If you are no longer confident in your injector, you can visit with someone else.

Camille Cash, MD

Just needs more filler

I agree with everyone else. I usually see most swelling gone at 2 weeks, looks like you just need some more filler. Give them a call and they should fix this. 

Alexander Blinski, MD
Manhattan Physician

My top lip is uneven, should I wait before I get more filler to even out my lip?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is a bit smaller on the one side. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. 

The smaller side of the upper lip can be augmented with more Juvederm at anytime.  Typically, our lip augmentation patients will come in within the first week if additional augmentation is needed.  This sort of thing can be avoided by an experienced lip augmentation provider that shows you the results as they are being injected and the lips should be relatively similar as well as augmented at the conclusion of the treatment.  Experience allows the lips to be injected in an expeditious manner so the results are seen prior to swelling.

Hope this helps.

Uneven lips after Juvederm - 4 weeks out

Things won't get much better after 2 weeks. I would go back now and ask for more filler to even it out. If you have lost confidence in them, consider another opinion. It is hard to say if you need to dissolve the current filler to add to it. An in person evaluation will determine that.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip injections

Generally speaking, all swelling should be resolved by 4 weeks.  I would recommend making another appointment with your doctor to discuss your concerns and treatment options.  Good luck!

Top lip uneven

Thank you for your question. Four weeks is adequate time for all the swelling to resolve. I would recommend you return to your injector at this time for a touch up in the area. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

My top lip is uneven, should I wait before I get more filler to even out my lip? How long should I wait?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. I agree that you are a little asymmetric, and at this point the swelling should have subsided. I think is a good time for a touch-up with additional product to improve this asymmetry. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  At four weeks your filler material has largely become incorporated into the tissues of your lips and any swelling has resolved.  You can now have a touch-up safely performed to help even out your upper lip.  Hope this helps.

Juvederm Result

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  I generally recommend that my patients allow 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling, and possibly bruising, to resolve in order to see the final result.  At 4 weeks postprocedure, any swelling is likely to be totally resolved.  Based on your photo, I can see some asymmetry present in your top lip.  Please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation to fully discuss your concerns and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best course of action.  Hope this helps and best wishes!