Xeomin is toxic. And it doesn't work well. You couldn't pay me to use it. Why do doctors push something so toxic on the public?

Xeomin Toxicity

Xeomin is an FDA approved neuromodulator that has been used on thousands if not millions of patients. It has been shown to be effective and useful for its intended purposes.

Xeomin

Hi and thanks for posting your question here! Xeomin is an FDA-approved medication that belongs to the same family as Botox and Dysport, as they all share similar active ingredient - Botulinum Toxin Type A. However the way it has been purified and processed is different from other medications in the same family and actually it has less collateral proteins which might offer some benefits. It generally works as good as Botox in the head to head studies. Lots of people at my practice like it and get it on routine basis. What really matters is the technique and experience of the injector. I hope this helps and good luck!  

Elham Jafari, MD
Irvine Physician

Xeomin

Hello, I am sorry that you did not have a good experience with Xeomin. Xeomin is botulinum toxin A, it is FDA approved and is similar to Botox. Xeomin is actually a cleaner version of Botox and is not toxic. I have many patients that prefer Xeomin over Botox and Dysport. Each patient responds differently to medications and maybe Xeomin is just not for you.

Xeomin

Xeomin is NOT toxic other than the fact it is botulinum toxin as is Botox and Dysport and others. It is approved by FDA and is actually more pure than Botox because Botox has extra protein and Xeomin is pure botulinum toxin A.  I don't know who in the world told you such a thing but you should get into the hands of someone who knows what he is doing--a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Xeomin and Safety

Xeomin is a version of botulinum toxin A, very similar to Botox. Many of my patients who do not achieve optimal results with Botox pursue treatment with Xeomin or Dysport, both which are FDA approved and safe when in the hands of an experienced physician. I have never had any bad experiences with Xeomin. Please seek an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Xeomin: does it work and is it safe?

Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience with the Xeomin version of botulinum toxin A, which is essentially identical to Allergan's "Botox," which is also serotype A.  I've been injected neuromodulators (Wrinkle Blockers) like Botox for 19 years, Xeomin for about 4 years, and Dysport for 3 years.  I have injected them in 20 year-olds up to their 80's for medical reasons (uncontrolled spasms) and mostly for cosmetic reasons.  Have never had any serious adverse reactions (e.g., breathing problems, severe weakness etc.).  The wrinkle blockers are an excellent tool for patients wishing to fight aging changes and/or prevent some of them.  There are some contraindications where they should not be used (myasthenia graves patients, ALS etc.), but "Botox" injections have been the number one cosmetic procedure for many years because when given properly they have such a high safety profile with great results all while avoiding surgery or as a complement to surgery and dermal fillers.  Its not for everyone, but if you have wrinkle concerns I would seek out someone with excellent reviews and experience if you reconsider trying.  Be sure to let your injector know of any medical conditions you have and any vitamins, supplements, or medications you take.  Also look for a reputable injector, who reconstitutes it an ethical manner using FDA-approved and legally sourced botulinum toxin only.  Best regards. 

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon