Drainage tubes.

I had my implants finally removed last Wednesday the 17th,the day after surgery I got 50cc out after 8 hrs (I drain every 8 hrs) the second day 30 cc after that it was kind of clear ,then I felt tubing it was quite hard so I kind of squeeze it and then it kind of loosen and now is red again..is this normal?. I have appointment the 24th.. actually it's only been 3 days.

Drain output can vary in color for a few days.

Hello. After implant removal, especially if you had the capsule removed, the drainage can vary in color from light red or even orange to darker red. It should diminish in amount and the color gradually lighten up.Your doctor will have a protocol for removal, so you should follow these instructions.Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants removed - concerned about drainage

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.
  • It sounds as though your manipulation of the drains caused a little bleeding.
  • Please call your own surgeon, explain what has happened and ask for instructions on what to do and if you should be seen earlier.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Drainage tubes.

The drainage from the tubes can fluctuate from pink to red to straw colored.  The output is expected to decrease over time.  Not unusual ot have a change of clear to pink and back or to have a slight increase from one day to the next.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Drainage tubes

Sounds like the drainage is improving.  Temporary changes in color appearance is normal but as you have recently had some red re-develop, closely monitor to output and if it increases in amount or the red persists,  follow up with your surgeon for an in-person exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Drainage

Drainage from the tubes will vary from red to clearish.  I usually keep them in until the drainage is less than 30 cc/24 hrs.

Drainage tubes

Thank you for sharing your question.  It sounds as if your drainage is tapering appropriately with a steady decrease in each 8 hour output recording.  Temporary changes in color appearance is normal but as you have recently had some red re-develop, closely monitor to output and if it increases in amount or the red persists, contact your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Hope this helps.

Drainage tubes concerns after breast implant removal surgery…

Although I cannot provide you with specific advice and/or reassurance, some general thoughts may be helpful to you. It is not uncommon to see drain output color change.  Most often, this change in color is not concerning.

Having said that, if the change in color occurs after any type of trauma or is associated with increased volume of output and/or a change in physical examination (for example swelling of the breast  or increased pain) then the change in color may be more concerning (for a problem such as bleeding).

Again, your plastic surgeon will be the best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.