Is Having Your Splints Removed After Rhinoplasty/septoplasty Painful?

Removing nasal packing and splints after rhinoplasty should be painless

Years ago, when I trained, we put a lot more packing in the nose and left it in for many days. Now, much less packing is used and it is often removed after one day. This has little discomfort and actually a relief to get the packing out. Even taking off the cast, if done gently is painless.

Nasal splint/cast removal

Following rhinoplasty a nasal cast or tape may be placed. If the procedure was completed with in an open approach, external sutures were also placed. Intranasal splints may be used to help with septal healing after a septoplasty. These are often removed at your first post-operative visit.

Removal of the nasal cast, tape and sutures do not typically cause any discomfort. Some patients may experience some minor discomfort during the removal of the splints due to crusting, however most patients experience relief when the splints are removed as their presence can cause some mild nasal obstruction. It is helpful to utilize saline nasal spray in the immediate post-operative to help reduce crusting and reduce irritation when the splints are removed.

Jeffrey Rawnsley, MD

Nasal packing and internal splints

It really depends upon what the surgeon uses inside the nose. Some surgeons use no packing, but in my experience, this leads to more troublesome oozing the first night after surgery and excess swelling inside the nose for the first few weeks. I generally place a light dressing of soft gauze for the first night only: this not only eases how often you have to change the drip pad overnight, but also helps reduce the build-up of swelling by pushing the nasal tissue against the external splint. When we remove it, there is momentary pressure followed by immense relief and the ability to breathe. If we have to put internal splints in the nose, we use soft silicone sheeting that does not hurt upon removal. Larger packing, fortunately not used much anymore, may be more painful.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing splints after rhinoplasty

Usually when I perform rhinoplasty, I put splints on the inside and the outside of the nose. This is because most commonly I perform a septoplasty with my rhinoplasty. I would say for most patients there is a little bit of discomfort particularly removing the splints from the inside of the nose. However it takes literally 1 to 2 seconds to remove the splints. I feel that the splints are important to keep the surgical area well protected from bleeding and swelling. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Dressing removal and splint removal is not painful after rhinoplasty surgery.

In our practice, we do not use nasal packing, but if we are repairing a severely deviated nasal septum, temporary septal silicone splints may be placed and removed two weeks postoperative. The external splint and sutures are removed around 7 days postoperative, and this does not hurt. Septal splint removal at 14 days postoperative is also painless, and typically leads to gratifying nasal breathing.Hope this helps you.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Having splints removed can be uncomfortable

Generally, removing the splints following a rhinoplasty is more uncomfortable than painful. Patients may want to take an over the counter painkiller if worried about pain or if they have a low pain tolerance. I use small silicone splints inside of the nose. I feel these are the best tolerated by patients and are not painful to remove. Speak with your surgeon about your concerns before your splint removal appointment. I hope this helps.

Removing Splints

Removing splints after Rhinoplasty should not be painful; although you may experience a weird sensation. There are different techniques that can be used when preparing to have the splints removed that can make the experience more comfortable. Talk to your doctor about what recommendations he/she may have for your post-operative appointment.

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Removing post op bandages

So every doctor does things differently but essentially there are 3 parts to you dressings

Removing the cast/splint
Removing packing or some kind of intranasal entitity
Removing sutures if the surgery was done open

None should hurt.  Removing the intranasal portion may be slightly uncomfortable but its only a few seconds and there is no lingering discomfort

You will be fine

Rady Rahban, MD

more uncomfortable then painful

In my practice, when i insert these internal nasal splints, called Doyle splints, i usually cut them down so that the height of the splint is about the same size as the nostril.  This way when they are pulled out they don't get caught on the opening of the nostril which tends to cause the pain.  In that manner it is really just mildly uncomfortable rather than painful.  

Pain meds before, decongestants and local anesthesia are all things that can be used, but usually unnecessary if the above is managed in the operating room correctly.

hope this helps!

Removing Splints Post-Rhinoplasty

Inserting internal splints post-rhinoplasty to maintain the structure of your new nose and external splints for added protection after surgery is very common. Depending on the type of splint and techniques employed by your surgeon, removing the internal splint may be relatively painful. Sometimes, patients take mild painkillers in anticipation for the pain experienced while removing these splints to ease the pain and maximize comfort. 

Sam Rizk, MD