What Should I Do to Add Volume to my Upper Breast?

I currently have implants they've dropped and now I have ski slop breasted also they seem set far apart and too firm. My current implants are saline and the we're placed 3 years ago. Also I have stretch marks from my last pregnancy two years ago. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 6

What Should I Do to Add Volume to my Upper Breast?

Photos would be really helpful in answering your question. There are many possibilities, and a picture would narrow them down considerably. 

It may be that the implants have settled and the lower breast tissue has stretched out. The remedy here would be breast lift.

If the implants have slipped below the breast fold, surgery to reinforce the fold with sutures, your own tissue, or Strattice would be best.

If you have lost upper pole volume and that's the only issue, either fat grafting or implant exchange would be the choice. 

An in person evaluation is,of course, the best way to analyze the problem and choose the best solution.  All the best. 


Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Adding volume to implants

If you want more volume and superior fullness you will need to go with larger implants and possibly a different shape. An exam in person is essential.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Options to add upper pole breast volume after augmentation.


There is no substitute for an examination and consultation with your plastic surgeon.  He (she) will have pre-operative photos and surgical records to guide you with options for revision.  For example,  breasts "set far apart" years after augmentation may have been widely separated and higher prior to the initial surgery.

Depending upon the position and volume of your implants, you may need to have larger implants or a breast lift (or a combination of these procedures) to address your concerns.  

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Upper Breast Fullness with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs or your bra size.  There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift, which uses only a circumareola incision to increase upper pole fullness.  This technique will reshape your breast tissue, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase cleavage.  At the same time, your implants can be repositioned or replaced to achieve your desired goal.  The best implants are silicone gel placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural.  You may be an excellent candidate for this new technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 222 reviews

Options to improve breast shape after implant settling

As you know an in person consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon is required in order to get specific advice, but often the problem you describe happens when the implants settle and the muscle pushes then down and out. Pocket reinforcement with a Strattice graft can be very helpful to hold the implants up and in, sort of like a living internal bra.

Richard Baxter, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Dropping of your breast implants

Without seeing a photo, it is impossible to comment for sure. if your implants "dropped", then you may need a revision in which the implant is supported with the use of acellular dermal substitute such as Alloderm or Strattice. If your implants are over the muscle, moving them under the muscle may help to improve the upper pole. Switching to silicone may also help. Lastly, if the implants are in good position, you may consider fat injections to the upper part of your breast to help soften the upper border of the implant. You need to see s few board certified plastic surgeons.

Matthew Schulman, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 324 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.