I have a lipoma growth between my left shoulder blade and my spine which is not mobile and its huge? (Photos)

My worry now is if at all it has spread that far will surgery be still possible to remove this growth since it's becoming painful when I sit on the couch and I lean back to relax or when I spent more time studying

Doctor Answers 3

#Lipoma Removal - lipoma growth

Lipomas can become symptomatic when they are larger, and yours' looks like it is.  It's hard to tell from the photos for sure but it looks like you would benefit from removal of the lipoma.  This can be done with a small incision (to remove the mass) and, possibly, a second (small) incision if a drain is used.  Use of the drain varies from surgeon to surgeon, and on the size of the mass.  I would typically use one for a lipoma this size.  But you should be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon to go over the options, and then make an informed decision based on that.  I think you'll be very happy once you have it out, and that your symptoms will be relieved.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

I have a lipoma growth between my shoulder blade and spine which is not mobile and its huge?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Despite the lipoma's large size it will still be possible to remove the mass in its entirety.  It will take a longer incision compared to when it was smaller but removal should improve your current symptoms.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Huge lipoma

I am sorry you have to deal with this. Most soft tissue masses even when large are benign tumors that do not necessarily have to be removed. However in your case, the size and the fact it is so tender suggest you should have it removed. Prior to removal, I recommend a small incisional (in which a tiny piece of the mass is removed) or a core (large needle) biopsy be performed to confirm it is benign (likely). An experienced plastic or general surgeon will be able to remove it safely with minimal cosmetic deformity/scar. Good luck and take care.

Leslie Memsic, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.