Will the void from lipoma removal close up or remain hollow after the fluid has been absorbed by the body?

I had a Lipoma removed from just below the nape of the neck near the atlas which extend to the top of the taps close to the spinal column on the right side. The surgery was about three weeks ago. The swelling is just about gone I can feel the void where the lipoma use to be. I am not sure what the actual size of the lipoma but medium to take a guess, the growth was there for more than ten years. I don't have per or post picture of the site.

#Lipoma Removal - Will the void from close up?

It's hard to say for sure but this often depends on how large the lipoma was, and how long it was there.  Your surgeon will be able to give you a better answer since he or she knows what size it was.  That being said, the way it appears at 11 days is not necessarily how it will appear finally, in my experience.  There may be some remaining depression, but the fat in the area can recover a bit (it is very sensitive to pressure, and so may atrophy - wither - when a large lipoma has been in place for a longer period of time) which helps the final appearance.  Otherwise, fat can be injected.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Depression after lipoma removal

The body generally does not completely fill a depression left by lipoma removal.  The scar tissue buildup can fill some of it but not all.If it continues to bother you then getting filler injections in that area will help.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will the void from a lipoma removal close up or remain hollow?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Depending on the size of the lipoma you may be left with a small divot or contour irregularity.  At times this does "fill in" as the surrounding fat that was compressed by the lipoma relaxes and stretches back out.  At other times a large lipoma may necessitate rotating additional tissue in to leave less of an indentation.  Hope this helps.