How soon after a Tummy Tuck is it ok to stand up straight?

Hunching over is hurting my back.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy tuck and standing

I prefer that patients stay a bit hunched over for several days to avoid tension on the abdominal wound closure. Every doctor may be a bit different so it is best to ask your surgeon.

Walking Bent Over After Tummy Tuck

I advise my patients to stay bent over when walking or laying for at least the first 3 days post op. After that they can gradually begin to stretch out. Typically this produces a slightly uncomfortable, tight feeling but not pain after a week or two. Most of my patients are able to stand fully straight between 1-2 weeks post op.

I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you as they know your situation the best.

Take care

Standing straight after tummy tuck

Typically, when doing a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), your surgeon will try and make you as tight as is safely possible.  This can lead to feeling like you will pull everything apart when you try and stand up.  People typically walk a little hunched over to avoid this, plus it is usually more comfortable not to put tension on the incision.  That said, walking hunched over isn't so comfortable either!  I typically tell my patients to stand as upright as possible but to listen to their bodies; if it hurts or feels too tight to stand straight, then don't.  Skin will stretch with time and usually by two weeks people are comfortable enough to be fully upright.  Good luck!

Hurting in back after tummy tuck.

Thanks for your question. My patients stand fairly straight 7 to 10 days after the surgery. Uncommonly, some patients may go beyond 2 weeks before standing fully straight. There are a few things you can to have some relief of the back pain, but your surgeon should be contacted to discuss what to do about your back. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

How soon after a TT is it okay to stand up straight?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  For my patients I recommend that they stand as upright as possible until they feel tension along their lower abdominal incision.  This limits the possibility of a poor appearing scar while improving patient comfort.  Hope this helps.