Wanting to get boobs, tummy tuck, but I'm too scared because of my health HX? Its all over the place.

Hypothyroid since age 12 (i am now hyperthyroid as of recent). mom was given i131 & treated with propuriacil when preg with me. Had a large kidney stone lodged in ureter at age 19 (ureteroscopy and laser). Endometriosis (laperoscopy). Got pregnant right away, had my daughter in sept 2013. Got a rectovaginal fistula from childbirth, so that was my third surgery. I have ADHD,Heart murmur (leaky valves), TMJ, scoliosis, Aura migraines from hormones or if I bonk my head.

Health all over the place.

Remember to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your consultation.  Follow his instructions for before and after your surgery. As long as you are under care with your primary care physician making sure you are in good health. Working together with your Dr.'s and Surgeon you should be fine.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your great question. Sounds like you have had your fair share of health problems! That begin said, I do not see anything on that list that is a "dealbreaker" or an absolute contraindication for surgery. You need to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and discuss you health history in detail and have a physical exam. It may require some additional workup and/or screening to get clearance for surgery, but with a little work, I think that you could possibly be a candidate for elective surgery without much additional risk.

Dallas Buchanan, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Health issues and a mommy makeover

You have certainly had your share of troubles!

Nevertheless, if you have a thorough physical examination you can find the exact risk associated with some of your problems, such as a heart murmur (which you have to investigate whether or not you had surgery).

Once your medical conditions are all optimized, again which is something you need to do anyway, you may well be a candidate for surgery!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Bad Health history

Thanks for your question. None of the conditions you have listed should really prevent you from safely having tummy tuck and  breast Surgery. Discuss your health concerns with your primary care doctor and get their advice. Good luck

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Medical Clearance Prior to Surgery

Thank you for your question about cosmetic surgery and health.  It sounds like you have some health issues which are not insurmountable for cosmetic procedures.  First, I would have your physician evaluate you.  A cardiologist should consult as well.  You can separate your procedures to make the recovery easier and the anesthesia shorter.  These strategies would bode well for you.   Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Want mommy make-over but scared by my health

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• With good planning, you should be able to have your surgery and do well.
  • First, the heart murmur must be evaluated by a cardiologist who clears you for surgery and advises your surgeon as to managing the murmur, usually with protective antibiotics.
  • Second, you cannot be hyper(high) thyroid for safe elective surgery. So see an endocrinologist for evaluation and get your thyroid function under control.
  • You will need lots of help after surgery - ideally 4 weeks of help with your daughter so you don't stress out.
  • Your endometriosis needs to be under control so it doesn't cause bloating after surgery.
  • Apart from this, you should be able to have surgery and do well if your surgeon and your other specialists work together. Enjoy your result!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD