Is this belly button normal? I have a little white tissue looking thing coming out of my belly button. (photos)

I got my tummy tuck with muscle repair September 29th 2016. For the most part I'm happy with it but I'm worried about the belly button and my belly is not flat like I expected. My doctor didn't perform lipo of the abdomen and he says that since the extra skin is gone I'm noticing where the fat is. Is it normal?

Belly Button

Well it looks like you are having some delayed wound healing with the belly button itself. But, the area you are referring to is the abdominal skin and tissue. Sure the right looks like there is a little more but it is very difficult to make those areas exactly the same. Nobody real is totally symmetric. Overall it looks great but I would have you surgeon check the belly button. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Tummy Tuck Healing

Hello and thank you for sharing your pictures with your questions.

It appears that you are having a minor healing issue with your belly button.  Possibly a separation of the incision.  The white tissue is most likely some skin that did not heal well.  Please see your surgeon and let them look at that area.  I would remove that area so you could clean it better.  It usually heals with some time.

In regards to your other questions, you are going to have to wait at least six months to see your result.  At that time, it is possible that some liposuction may improve your contour.  You do seem to be healing as expected in those areas.  

Some surgeons do some liposuction at the time of the tummy tuck and some do not.  Just a personal preference.  It is safe, however, to do later as mentioned.

Good luck to you.  Just discuss your concerns with your own surgeon.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Is this belly button normal?

It appears that you have some delayed healing of your belly button. Overall you have very nice results from your surgery. You might benefit from some liposuction if there is still fullness on your abdomen after the swelling has subsided. Right now it is too early to assess her results. You need to continue to follow up with your surgeon to address the healing on your belly button.

Concerns With Healing

I recommend that you have your belly button wound assessed in person by your Plastic Surgeon. Swelling in the abdominal area is typical for a few months post op however if one side is becoming larger/firmer or feels like a pocket of fluid you may have a seroma. Contact your surgeon to follow up.

All the best

Belly Button Healing Post Tummy Tuck

There does seem to be something going on with your belly button. I would certainly advise you to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to have this assessed in person. In terms of your belly flatness, any inflammation or swelling in the belly button would affect your results so your belly will continue to improve once you clear up this issue. It may take 6 months for your final results so don't be discouraged.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck healing

Thank you for the question and photos.  There is something that is occurring with your belly button that will need to be examined in person.  There may be some wound separation at the belly button or some form or inflammation or infection.  Your plastic surgeon should provide you with some guidance and keep and eye on you to make sure it heals as well as it can.  Prolonged inflammation in the belly button area can result in scar buildup that may lead to a belly button that is too small.

Best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD