Solution for Thin-skinned Chest?

Seemingly due to sun exposure at a young age - or maybe due to early and large breast development - the chest's skin has thinned or stretched so much that my ribs show above my breasts. Is there a way that I can put either injectable fillers or a fat transfer there to make it look more "youthful". My chest looks like Magda from "There's Something About Mary" except it's beyond pale and of a 25 years old. Thank you for your responses!

Doctor Answers 7

Fat transfer can soften a thin-skinned chest ...

Fat transfer can soften thinness in the upper breast area. If you are very thin it can be difficult to get a smooth result. One of the main difficulties with fat grafting this area is getting enough fat to change the contour. If too much is injected at once the transplanted fat may not take, leaving behind lumps. You’ll need to see someone with experience in this area.

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Fat to hide ribs in the decolete (uper chest)

I showed my reslts with this to a national plastic surgery meeting almost 12 years ago and still there are questions by my colleagues over whether it works or not...Well it does work well but as in all plastic surgeries you must choose one experienced with the technique

Richard Ellenbogen, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Thin Chest-Wall Skin

Fat transfers to fill in the upper portion of the breast/chest has become an excellent and frequently used technique to achieve a more natural breast appearance in breast reconstruction.  Because of its success in reconstruction, fat transfers are also now used in cosmetic breast surgery to help  camouflage and hide the breast implants in patients who have very thin tissues.  From your description, you may be a candidate for this procedure.  Please contact a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in using fat transfers in breast surgery who can help address your concerns.  Hope this helps. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 83 reviews

Fat Transfer: Softens the Upper Breast Area

The upper pole of the breast is the first place to thin out and fortunately is a great place to put fat to soften this area so there is less rib show. An exam of course would be essential to make sure you are a good candidate. I would make sure you stick with a plastic surgeon with lots of experience and board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Best Treatment for Thin-Skinned Chest


First of all, love the "There's Something About Mary" reference, what a great movie!  I agree with the experts here that fat transfer may be beneficial.  Most importantly choose your injector most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Fat transfer can be helpful in the chest area

Fat transfer can be helpful in this area and is used on many girls who are thinned skin. A good consultation with a fat transfer expert will help to provide a proper diagnosis if you are a good candidate for this procedure. I personally use this technique for many girls that come in from other surgeons post breast augmentation that may have some rippling in this area and the fat transfer is very effective for providing a smoother natural youthful appearance.

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 208 reviews

Fat transfer to improve chest wall appearance

Fat transfer to the chest wall can be valuable to provide cover to your chest wall and rib cage. It is often used in breast reconstruction for this purpose, and can also be valuable for women with breast implants and thin overlying tissues. You might be a good candidate for this. An in person consultation would help to give you the best advice.

Mary Lee Peters, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 114 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.