Is there any benefit to massaging the area treated with Kybella?

10 days post treatment of Kybella, is there any benefit or issue with messaging the treated area?

Massaging after Kybella

With the swelling that happens after a Kybella injection, it is tempting to want to massage it away, no question about it.  Interestingly,  massaging the area initially likely increases the amount of overall swelling that you will get. Once the swelling has settled after a few days, massaging may help  it dissipate faster, but there is no good evidence to support that. 

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Home Care after Kybella Treatments

Bruising, swelling and mild discomfort can be expected following your Kybella treatment. These issues should resolve within 72 hours. You will be asked to avoid exercising during this time and to take it easy in general. This is just a precautionary measure to reduce overall bruising and swelling. We like to recommend anti-inflammatory medications and localized ice with a chin strap to minimize discomfort

#Kybellainjections   #afterKybella   #doublechintreatments

Getting the Best Results after Kybella Treatments

By 10 days after Kybella injections, the fat that was targeted will already be optimally destroyed and the lymphatic system will be working to reduce inflammation and swelling, We find that compression and ice immediately after treatments, work best to reduce that swelling and enable the patients to see their results sooner.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

After Care for Kybella Treatments

Bruising, swelling and mild discomfort can be expected following your Kybella treatment. These issues should resolve within 72 hours. You will be asked to avoid exercising during this time and to take it easy in general. This is just a precautionary measure to reduce overall bruising and swelling.  We like to recommend anti-inflammatory medications and localized ice with a chin strap the first few days after the treatment.  Since the area tends to be sensitive, massage is not ordinarily recommended.

#Kybellaaftercare    #doublechintreatments  #Kybellafatdestruction

Kybella and Treatment

I would definitely avoid massaging the treated area after injection.  We recommend Motrin and ice to prevent more inflammation.  Best, Dr. Green

Massage after Kybella?

I would advise refraining from massaging an area treated with Kybella for several reasons. Massaging just after injection could be very uncomfortable and may spread the medication to areas we don't want to treat. After the initial swelling subsides, the area remains tender to touch only for up to 4 weeks, so massaging it would be unpleasant. Lastly, there is no data suggesting that massaging will increase the draining of fluid from the area.

To prevent and reduce the swelling, I have developed a specific protocol that utilizes aggressive icing, antiinflammatory over-the-counter and prescription medications. I believe this is more effective and definitely more tolerable than massaging.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Massage is not recommended immediately after Kybella injections

Though massage hasn't been extensively studied, it is not recommended after Kybella injection. You want the medication to stay in the fat compartment to optimize the cosmetic result, so avoid massaging which, in theory, could shift the medication around too much.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Massaging after Kybella

That is a good question.  There is no mention of the benefits of massaging by Kybella at this time.  If you were to massage the area, I would wait 24-28 hours as the chemical process of fat break down is occurring.  It is uncertain if you can distribute the drug into unwanted areas, but the area will be somewhat tender after the procedure and massaging may increase the pain.  Hope this helps.

Grant Stevens, MD

Massaging after Kybella.

Immediately after Kybella injections minimal manipulation to the area is recommended, definitely no massage, I would say for at least 48 hours. There have been no studies to show whether massage makes any significant difference in how well Kybella works, Massage may help speed up lymphatic drainage and help with swelling, but will not make the healing process and tissue remodeling occur any faster on its own.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Massage can help after Kybella injections

Hi, I just added a link that might be helpful...

Hi, thank you for your question regarding benefits of massage after Kybella injections.  I think gentle massage is helpful in softening the treated area, and should be started a few days after the injection.  Starting immediately is not recommended as it will increase the discomfort and increase the spread, possibly into nearby nerves, etc.  Be sure to consult your treating plastic surgeon on technique, frequency & duration of the massage.  Best wishes for a great result!