Could Kybella (atx 101) be used to treat pseudo gynecomastia (lipomastia)?

Hello, im a 25 years old male who has struggled since being a teenager with what i thought was gynecomastia. However after runing some tests it turns out its just a thick layer of fat, there is no glans tissue enlargement. My question is: could kybella offlabel use solve this problem? Thank you

Treating Gynecomastia

There have been no FDA studies and it is not approved to treat this condition with Kybella.  However, Coolsculpting is very inexpensive compared with Kybella and works extremely well to treat gynecomastia.  I have been very impressed with Coolsculpting to treat fat in many areas of the body.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella for Pseudo Gynecomastia

At this time Kybella is only approved for treating fat under the chin.  Treating the chest would be an off-label usage which I would not recommend at this time.  There has been a large demand for use of Kybella in areas other than under the chin, and I would imagine that there will be studies done fairly soon to determine whether this usage is safe.  At this point I would wait or seek a consultation for liposuction.  Good luck!

I appreciate your question.

Kybella is currently FDA approved for submental fat reduction.  I would recommend you look into liposuction or possibly coolsculpting as treatment options.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Kybella use off label.

Kybella has been shown to be safe and is FDA approved for use in treating submental fullness. It has not been approved for use outside of this area, and should be used with caution. It would likely be cost prohibitive, and in the area you want to treat there is the added complication of breast tissue being present. I suppose if studies are done that prove it's safety and efficacy it could possibly work well, but for now it is not known.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella for gynecomastia

The amount of Kybella that would need to be used (off-label) for male breast reduction would make it much, much more expensive than Coolsculpting or liposuction.  It's just not worth it in large areas.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Could Kybella (atx 101) be used to treat pseudo gynecomastia (lipomastia)

I would recommend sticking with the current indication of of kybella's use.   I also would be very hesitant injecting kybella directly into the breast tissue.  Best of luck

#Kybella for #Gynecomastia

'finalcut,' when new treatments come out it is best to confine treatments to the FDA-approved indication until more experience is gained regarding efficacy and side effects.  The FDA approved Kybella for submental fat reduction.  It is possible and likely that practice will prove it to be safe and efficacious form other areas, but I would not recommend using it in the breast at this time.

CoolSculpting is very effective, and there is considerable experience with treatments in this area. It would be less expensive as well.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Kybella

Kybella is approved for the submental area. It can reduce the fat beneath the chin and is not approved for other areas in the US. It can be used for off label areas like gynecomastia once we have more experience for the medication.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for Use in Body

They use of Kybella injections is not well understood or throughly studied at this time.  Currently, Kybella is used to inject the fat underneath the chin to dissolve it.  In this manner, the injections can improve the neck an jawline.  I would not recommend Kybella injections in the body at this time.

Off label Kybella

Because of the amount of Kybella which would be necessary to treat gynecomastia, the cost would likely be prohibitive.  Coolsculpt or liposuction are probably better options. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon