How long do FUE hair transplants take to heal? Should I take off work?

Should a person plan to take any time off for recovery after my FUE hair transplants? How long should a person take off? And how long does it take for the treated area to be/look fully healed?

Healing after FUE

Usually patients take off anywhere from a couple of days to a week after their FUE procedure.  Recovery is fast, but most patients are worried about their haircut as the hair needs to be shaved down to the skin in the donor area.  It takes about 10 days for the donor zone to look fully healed.  Attached is a video of an FUE procedure from beginning to end.  This will give you a better understanding.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Healing after FUE

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes you should plan some downtime

In regards to typical recovery, patients will vary in terms of how long it takes them to recover from their hair transplant procedures. In general, most people need three to four days in order to heal. After that, they may get on with their lives and resume their typical daily activities.

After the three to four-day healing process is finished, the follicles will be under the scalp. Infection risk will be quite low at this point. As well, any discomfort which relates to the operation should ease by the time that three or four days has passed.

With this in mind, you should plan some downtime after your operation. It might be three days or it might be a week. It depends on your schedule. Be sure to take time to rest and heal after your hair transplant. 

Yes you should plan some downtime

How long to take off work after an FUE transplant

Because of the shave on the back of your head, taking 7-10 days off is reasonable so that there will be no trace of the transplant.  The biggest problem is the short hair cut behind your head which will be long enough by 10 days to see nothing.  

These are my washing instructions which I have presented here before:

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Few days

Each patient heals differently.  It also depends on the number of FUE grafts you are planning.   In general, FUE scars heal in a few days.  You can see FUE photos just days after surgery on my gallery page.  Most patients take 3 to 5 days off.  Some go back to work next day.  Ask your doctor.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Few days

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon