One Side of my Face Lower Than the Other?

I have noticed that my face is uneven. 1 side of my face is abit lower than the other and it's most noticeable on my eyes and lips as one eyelid looks higher than the other. When i smile my lips look even but when iam not smiling and looking normal. you can notice that 1 side of the lip is lower than the other. I am only 26 yrs old so i think iam too young for a facelift to even it out. I personally feel like it might have something to do with my teeth being misaligned. can you give any advice

Facial asymmetry

It is actually very common to have both sides of the face "slightly" different.  You can take everyone's face and divide in half and "reflect" it using a morphing computer software and see completely different person.  Teeth misalignment can affect facial bone (maxilla) structure maturation.  Without seeing your picture it would be difficult to give you any advice.  Static asymmetry (face at rest) is easier to fix using soft tissue fillers.  Dynamic asymmetry (facial animation) may be more tricky.

Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry in Face

It is hard to believe, but only about 10% of people have truly symmetric faces. It is possible the asymmetry you are noticing is a normal variation.Some asymmetries are actually attractive and add to the intrigue and interest of the face. If it bothers you a lot, fillers may be used to even out some of these asymmetries. More specific recommendations would require a physical exam with individual analysis of these asymmetries.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question.  Asymmetry in the face is normal, the question is why has it suddenly become noticeable to you.  Though unlikely, it is possible that you recently suffered a Bell's Palsy which (usually temporarily) weakens the muscles on one side of the face (though not usually the entire upper, mid and lower face).  Assuming that is not the issue and you're having no difficulty closing your eyelids on that side, then I would suggest that you discuss your options for non-surgical treatments with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon.  The use of filler and selective use of botulinum MAY be helpful in lessening the asymmetry.  As an example, botulinum can be used to raise the corner of your mouth and can be used to lower a higher eyebrow if present.  Of course discuss your situation as well with your dentist to see if dental allignment is an issue for you.  Good luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, CA

Jon A. Perlman, MD

My face seems asymmetric

Difficult to comment without photos. That being said, all faces (and all bodies) are asymmetric, and no one is perfectly symmetric (before or AFTER surgery..); it is all a question of degree. I hope this helps.

Bryan Correa, MD

One part of my face is lower

It is normal to have facial asymmetry. Everyone face has a side that is bit higher or lower than the other. If this is very evident, fillers can be used to help improve the asymmetry.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. It is very normal to have facial asymmetry and it can result from both soft tissue and bone differences. Actually, facial asymmetry is what gives our faces character. You may be correct that this is due to your teeth being misaligned. To determine the cause of the your asymmetry it is important to seek a face-to-face consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon so you can receive a thorough facial examination. Only then can you determine your course of action.
You might be pleased to know that in the hands of a very experienced injector, facial asymmetries can be improved through the proper utilization of fillers and Botox. Best wishes.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Facelft options

Facial asymmetry is quite common.  If the asymmetry is associated with dental issues, you may be a candidate for jaw surgery, which is a pretty big undertaking.  If it is just soft tissue asymmetry,  a facelift is provably not indicated a your age.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Facial Asymmetry

There are multiple anatomic abnormalities that can result in facial asymmetry.  These may include deformities of the facial bones and facial soft tissue.  In most cases they are relatively minor, but in some cases they may be severe and extremely noticeable.  Depending upon the deformity, treatment may or may not be possible.
Although, it’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on without a physical exam or pictures, I suspect that you have boney facial asymmetry.  This is supported by your age and malocclusion.
Asymmetry of the facial bones can be a major contributor to facial asymmetry.  When this occurs it’s not unusual to have one side of the face that’s more prominent then the opposite side.  This may be accompanied by dental abnormalities and malocclusion.
When this situation arises it may be possible to disguise the deformity, unfortunately it’s not possible in most cases to correct the deformity without major surgery.  If you’re considering any type of treatment consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.  This surgeon should be able to evaluate you and formulate a treatment plan.

Asymmetry is normal

Your question is a great one because I'm sure MANY people have the same concerns.  Everyone's face is asymmetric.  Prior to surgery, this is something that I point out to all of my patients in the mirror, and on my own face.

Some people have more asymmetry than others and some patients can have associated issues with nerves and muscles, though these conditions are rare and usually noticed and addressed early in life before your 20's.

If you have ongoing concerns, there is no harm in seeing a plastic surgeon for an evaluation, but if anyone suggests surgery for you, make sure you get multiple opinions before proceeding.

Facial Asymmetry at 26

I would not recommend a facelift at 26 for facial asymmetry.  Each person has two different sides, and everyone is asymmetric.