One Side of my Face Lower Than the Other?

I have noticed that my face is uneven. 1 side of my face is abit lower than the other and it's most noticeable on my eyes and lips as one eyelid looks higher than the other. When i smile my lips look even but when iam not smiling and looking normal. you can notice that 1 side of the lip is lower than the other. I am only 26 yrs old so i think iam too young for a facelift to even it out. I personally feel like it might have something to do with my teeth being misaligned. can you give any advice

Facial Asymmetry

A degree of asymmetry is typical. Depending on the underlying reason for the asymmetry, it may be corrected aesthetically. Some asymmetry may be an indication of a medical condition. Consult in person with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options. 

Face asymmetry

Hello,It's difficult to tell without a photo, but remember that everyone has some degree of asymmetry to the face. The best way to get some options is to get a consult with a plastic surgeon. He/she can help evaluate these areas and offer some possible solutions. Best wishes!

Facial Asymmetry

No one has a perfectly symmetrical face.  Our left and right sides do not match and sometimes it is more noticeable than others.  Your surgeon can best determine what options you have to address this asymmetry. 

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

It is quite common to have facial asymmetry. Majority of patients I see during consultations have noticeable facial asymmetries. Facelift is not an answer for your facial asymmetry. 

Kevin Sadati, DO

Facial assymetry

Facial asymmetry is more the rule than the exception.  It varies from quite subtle to severe. It usually becomes most relevant when doing a forehead lift or blepharoplasty and the brows are asymmetric. this is due to  the three dimensional contour of the forehead plus usually the bone around the eye (orbit) is actually smaller.  It isn't intuitive but just elevating the brow and fixing it at a few points doesn't usually give long lasting symmetry- over time the lower brow will tend to become lower again. The same is true with a facelift for the lower face. Especially in a younger person HA fillers are probably the best treatment to get better symmetry around the mouth and cheek. 

Wayne F. Larrabee, MD

Facial asymmetry

It is actually very common to have both sides of the face "slightly" different.  You can take everyone's face and divide in half and "reflect" it using a morphing computer software and see completely different person.  Teeth misalignment can affect facial bone (maxilla) structure maturation.  Without seeing your picture it would be difficult to give you any advice.  Static asymmetry (face at rest) is easier to fix using soft tissue fillers.  Dynamic asymmetry (facial animation) may be more tricky.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry in Face

It is hard to believe, but only about 10% of people have truly symmetric faces. It is possible the asymmetry you are noticing is a normal variation.Some asymmetries are actually attractive and add to the intrigue and interest of the face. If it bothers you a lot, fillers may be used to even out some of these asymmetries. More specific recommendations would require a physical exam with individual analysis of these asymmetries.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question.  Asymmetry in the face is normal, the question is why has it suddenly become noticeable to you.  Though unlikely, it is possible that you recently suffered a Bell's Palsy which (usually temporarily) weakens the muscles on one side of the face (though not usually the entire upper, mid and lower face).  Assuming that is not the issue and you're having no difficulty closing your eyelids on that side, then I would suggest that you discuss your options for non-surgical treatments with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon.  The use of filler and selective use of botulinum MAY be helpful in lessening the asymmetry.  As an example, botulinum can be used to raise the corner of your mouth and can be used to lower a higher eyebrow if present.  Of course discuss your situation as well with your dentist to see if dental allignment is an issue for you.  Good luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, CA

Jon A. Perlman, MD

My face seems asymmetric

Difficult to comment without photos. That being said, all faces (and all bodies) are asymmetric, and no one is perfectly symmetric (before or AFTER surgery..); it is all a question of degree. I hope this helps.

One part of my face is lower

It is normal to have facial asymmetry. Everyone face has a side that is bit higher or lower than the other. If this is very evident, fillers can be used to help improve the asymmetry.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon