Can Botox relax muscle between mid upper lip and area where philtrum meets the nose? (Photo)

When I smile I have about three arcs of wrinkles just above my mid upper lip. I would like to immobilize the lines with Botox if possible.

Botox In The Upper Lip

Thank you for your question.Botox is a neurotoxin used to remove wrinkles by temporarily paralyzing muscles. I recommend using Botox and a dermal filler for the horizontal creases above your upper lip. Please have a consultation with an expert injector to discuss your concerns and desires.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Your lip

An experienced injector may be able to help this issue for you. I would recommend follow up with a reputable injector for an evaluation.

Botox under the nose

Thank you for your question Renamaesheila. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Below the nose lies a vestigial muscle called the depressor septi nasii. This muscle pulls down of the tip of the nose in some people when they smile. A small amount of Botox (1-2 units) can be placed here to relax the muscle and smoothen out the wrinkles. In this area the Botox may spread to the orbicularis oris muscle and affect the lips when one speaks, eats, or breaths. My patients have a strange sensation for about two weeks after the treatment. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox in the upper lip

Botox can definitely improve this area, but it will limit the lift of your upper lip when you smile, and some patients don't like that. It can also effect your pronunciation / speech, and sometimes make it difficult to drink from a bottle or a straw. I'd recommend you see a very experienced injector for something like this.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for upper horizontal line above lip

We've treated these horizontal lines successfully using a combination of dermal filler, Botox and microneedling. Fractional laser resurfacing can help in this area as well. Botox alone may or may not be enough - each case is different. It depends on muscle strength and movement in the area. 

Take care,

Dr. Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

Horizontal Lip Lines--Botox, Filler, Lasers, Radiofrequency

This can be improved with a combination of well-placed Botox and filler (to replace volume) along with lasers, radiofrequency and microneedling/prp. I recommend a consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox around the mouth

This is an excellent question that seems very simple but has a lot of subtleties surrounding it. This horizontal wrinkle or fold often occurs after people get Botox around their mouth for vertical lip lines. Immobilizing the circular muscle around the mouth to eliminate those vertical lines can make their horizontal neighbors worse.

This horizontal line can be made better with Botox, but this is NOT just treating the area around the mouth as most people normally do. You want to be very careful who you visit about this because you can lose function around your mouth if it is overdone or improperly done. Everybody likes to smile, talk and eat normally, so beware.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Horizontal line on upper lip

Botox will help to make this better but may have some side effects such as inability to use a straw or sometimes to drink from a cup. Fillers can be used but you need to se an experienced injector who is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox and Lines Above the Lip

Thank you for your photo and question.  Yes, adding Botox to the area above your lip can help smooth out the lines that are bothering you.  This area is common for administering a few units of botox to help reduce the appearance of a gummy smile or simply help the lip flip upward ever so slightly depending on placement of the botox.  You should not need but a few units to help resolve the problem of these lines.  The only thing you might need to be aware of is Botox tends to metabolize quickly around the mouth because we use those muscles so frequently for eating and talking.  But, if you can return to your injector every 3 months or so, you should be able to keep this area softened and smooth.  Visit your favorite plastic surgeon's office and make sure your injector has a great deal of experience focusing on the area of the mouth with botox.  Wishing you so well on your journey!

Remus Repta, MD

Can Botox relax muscle between mid upper lip and area where philtrum meets the nose?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  This appearance of upper lip horizontal creases is best managed with a combination of Botox and thin dermal filler placement.  I would recommend Volbella.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your results.