Do you still need an eye lift if you have a mini face lift? (Photo)

About the Facelift and Combining Facial Procedures

A #facelift is a surgical procedure designed to remove the major folds and wrinkles that form on our faces with age. Gravity, sun damage, smoking, living in a dry climate, and a variety of factors contribute to the aging process of our faces. Facelift techniques vary from patient to patient to give each person a procedure tailored to produce the best possible surgical result. A facelift will smooth out major folds and #wrinkles, #tighten the tissues beneath your skin, remove #sagging and excess skin. A facelift can also reduce excess skin around the #neck and #jawline.  

There is not just one facelift procedure, but a whole range of #facelift procedures. These different techniques have been developed over the years, involving different incisions and lifting the skin to varying degrees. A facelift may also involve the tightening of certain muscles and tissues, or liposuction of areas such as the jowls or chin.

It is important to understand that facelifts are meant to remove major folds and wrinkles, not fine wrinkles. A facelift which removes every line and fold would be too aggressive and would result in an unnatural result. Fine lines and #wrinkles are better addressed by skin treatments such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, which we also offer at our office. 

Yes, it is possible to #combine. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result.

The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one #consultation. I invite you to visit PacificCenterPlasticSurgery.com to view a complete list of surgeries commonly performed. 
The first step is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Eyelid Lift Post Mini Facelift

Good Question Patty.  These are all separate areas of the face and require their own individual attention.  It is difficult to judge anything from your photos because you are tilted backwards and not in an upright position.  A facelift usually does not take care of the eyelid fat that could be present in either the upper or the lower lids.  These areas are usually examined separately from the face and require a different approach surgically than the facelift.  In my practice, eyelid surgery is as easy as going to the dentist.  It is performed under local anesthesia and the down time is minimal.  If there are stitches, they come out in approximately a week.  The patients do very well.  Looking at your photo, your skin would do very well with a light laser treatment especially around the eyes.  This is part of eyelid rejuvenation due to sun damage to the thin skin surrounding the eye.

Good Luck

Warmest Regards,

Dr. Walton Montegut

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Does a mini-facelift address the eyes?

Hi Patty,A mini-facelift is designed to address 3 major areas of the face: lift and tighten the tissues of the cheeks, jaw line, and neck, and does not address the eyes whatsoever. I routinely perform a blepharoplasty (upper or lower, or both) and/or a brow lift at the same time as the mini-facelift to give an overall facial rejuvenation.

Separate Procedures

Hi Patty,
A mini facelift can be a safe, quick, and effective was to make a fantastic aesthetic improvement to your face. The benefits if a minilift include a shorter recovery period, minimized risk, limited scarring, and reduced surgery time.
Blepharoplasty also known as eyelid surgery helps to restore a more youthful and refreshed appearance to the eyes and surrounding skin. 

Whether you need an eyelift with your mini facelift is best determined with an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in facial cosmetic surgery who can evaluate your face with considerations like your age, skin laxity, jowls, overall health, and other important factors in order to plan a customized procedure for you as not all patients who receive a minilift will need and eyelift and vice versa. Hope this helps!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes two distinct procedures.

• A mini lift will lift the lower cheek, jowls, jawline, and a bit of the neck. 
  • A lower eyelid lift will remove the bags under the eyes and tighten the skin 
  • These are separate procedures accomplishing rejuvenation in different areas
  • The procedures can be done at the same time and even under local anesthesia and oral sedation. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Combined Procedures

Thank you for your question and photo. A mini facelift is an excellent option for contouring the jawline and lifting the jowls. The benefit n the neck tends to be far more modest since the dissection is more limited. An eye lift a.k.a. Blepharoplasty is n entirely separate procedure which is frequently performed in conjunction with facelifting procedures. The combination of the two often results in a harmonious result that is natural and blends the correction of the upper and mid face. A consultation with a board certitude plastic surgeon would be very helpful to address your question and allow for a thorough analysis of your face to formulate the best treatment plan for you. If you are looking for a more substantial change in the neck a Mini will not be adequate
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Mini facelift vs. eyelid lift

The mini facelift is a great choice to get rid of jowls and improve the contour along your jawline, making this area smooth.  This is a popular surgery because is addresses a very common problem as our face ages, and the overall recovery time of a min facelift is short (typically a week or less).

Since the eyes are a separate part of the face from the jowls and jawline, a different surgery is done to give you an "eye lift."  This surgery is called a blepharoplasty and essentially removes the drooping, excess skin of the upper eyelid.  

These two procedures are very commonly combined for a few reasons:
1) Often people who get a mini facelift only feel that their eyes "give me away" now that their eyes look more aged than the lower part of the face
2) The 2 surgeries beautifully pair with each other and take care of 2 of the most common areas that people are looking for facial rejuvenation.
3) Doing the surgeries together allows them to be within the same recovery period.  After about 1 week, you have gone through the majority of the healing for both procedures.

Best of luck with your decision.

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do you still need an eye lift if you have a mini face lift?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present and the eyebrows appear low which create the excess upper eyelid fullness. These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Facelifts remove excess facial tissue from the face but by itself would to affect any excess skin of the upper or lower eyelids. This requires an upper and/or lower Blepharoplasty.

Hope this helps.

Options

A mini lift corrects mostly the jowls and upper neck area
A mini lift does not correct lower eye bags or upper eyelid fullness.
Larger necks will need a full facelift to pull out the sagging neck tissues.
Dr. Denkler

Do I still need an eyelift with a mini lift?

Mini usually refers to a less extensive facelift.  These incisions usually are placed around the ears or in the temple region.  An eyelid surgery incision is placed either in the upper eyelid crease (for upper eyelids) or lower eyelid region (for lower eyelids).

Since each doctor may apply his terminology to their procedures I would consult your surgeon and ask him about this.

From your picture you may benefit from upper eyelids.  Your lower eyelids are difficult to assess as it appears you may be lying on your back which affect the appearance of your lower eyelids.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon