Will I need to have facial filler dissolved before I have jowl lift surgery?

I am booked to have an advanced mini facelift (jowls only) at the end of July. I have just had 2ml's Belotero in my marionette and nasolabial lines to tide me over until the surgery. One of the reasons I want to have this surgery is to stop messing about with facial fillers. My questions are; 1. Do I have this dissolved a few weeks prior to my surgery or 2. Do I postpone my surgery until it's worn off? I'm looking for an honest and objective medical opinion please.

Facelift & Fillers

Thank you for your question.  Facelift and fillers are synergistic so as long as you wait until the filler site is soft I have never come across any problems.  The mini facelift will address tightening and contouring the jowls and lower facelift therefore having filler in your marionette and nasolabial should not cause an effect.  Filler will help create volume in them associating areas.

All The Best 

Facial filler and facelift

Thanks for your question. No, I wouldn't find it necessary to let the product completely dissolve before facelift surgery. Most of the action and effect of a facelift of any style is to raise the jowls, raise the cheek tissues, tighten the neck, and contour the skin. It usually does not have a dramatic effect on the nasolabial folds, but may help a little. So, having the filler there should not change the surgery. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and Planned Surgery

Thank you for your question. Today many patients have fillers and decide to have surgery. Rarely would it be necessary to dissolve them unless there is significant overcorrection. From the product you had injected and the locations this should have no bearing on your upcoming surgery. Your jowls would be unaffected by the fillers and not hamper the accuracy of your surgery.
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Hi, The filler should not impact your facelift.  I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.