Is it ok to have a mini face lift (short scar facelift) at 33 years old?

I have got sagging jowls and no definition to my jaw what so ever yet when I pull back the skin, I can see my jawline perfectly. I feel very self conscious about it. I know that there are other non surgical options out there such as fillers and things but I really don't want this. I am pretty certain that I want the surgical procedure but I'm worried top surgeons that I have been researching such as Julian Di Silva will refuse to do the procedure because of my age.

Age VS Laxity Of Skin

Thank you for your question Nichola.  Age is not a factor for this kind of surgery. If you have lax facial skin, lost volume and feel that you have jowls and wrinkles on your cheeks and you look tired when you're not then the concept facelift can help improve your appearance. With concept facelift you will look natural and fresh just like the way you feel inside. There are no bandages, drains and hospital stay but with lasting results of traditional facelift techniques it fits with today's age.  Nichola without seeing you in person a surgeon would not be able to access you and address your concerns, this allows them to provide you with information about which treatments/surgery is best suited to the look that you want to achieve. 

All The Best 

Mini lift candidacy depends entirely on skin quality

While 33 years old is relatively young for a surgical facelift, everyone ages differently. During a consultation with someone interested in a facelift, I look at the quality of skin, rather than age. Some women may have amazing skin quality at 40 and don’t need surgery, while others may start to form jowls in their early 30s. Visit a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who is willing to look at skin quality over age to see if you are a good candidate for a mini lift. If the quality of your skin does not warrant a facelift, there are also non-surgical options that may help, such as the Titan skin tightening laser. I hope this helps.

Needs an exam

Younger patients can benefit from a mini facelift.
You will need to visit with doctors for an examination in person.

Best Time for a Facelift

The time to consider facelift surgery is when there is laxity of the soft tissues of the cheek and loss of definition of the jawline. Neck laxity is also commonly present. It is less a matter of chronological age. I've had patients in their 30's who needed it and others in their 50's who were not ready yet. You shouldn't be dissuaded based on your age. Rather your consideration for facial surgery should be based on your anatomy.

Best of luck

Bernard A. Shuster, MD, FACS
Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

If you truly need a lower face/neck lift then you need a lower face/neck lift no matter your age.

Everyone's skin is different and if a little tucking can help your self esteem and is so easy to undergo and truly needed then it is worth it.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mini Facelift?

Thank you for your question. I think this is a very interesting question and my answer has evolved as a result of my experience on the other end of the spectrum. Today we often see patients in their 80's who are interested in facial surgery. We no longer dismiss them simply based on their age and instead look at all the factors involved. Similarly, although 33 is very young for a facelift procedure it may be the best option for you based on your anatomy and goals. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be you next step so you can discuss your concerns and explore in detail all available options for you ignored to make an informed decision. I think most surgeons will listen to you rather then summarily dismiss your case because you are young
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Minilift candidate

Great question. The best way to determine whether you are a candidate for a procedure is to speak to a surgeon with experience in faces about this. Patients regularly come in asking for a specific procedure for what they feel will correct their concerns, however its up to the treating provider to determine whether you are a candidate. 

If you feel you need a mini lift and your surgeon feels the same way, then thats great. We don't determine surgical or other procedures based purely on age. If you have significant skin laxity, jowling and a lift would benefit you, then you are a candidate. If you have very little loose skin then you are not a candidate, and only an expert can determine this. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Ok to have a mini face lift (short scar facelift) at 33 years old?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties who had early "jowl" formation. Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Proper age to consider facelift

Thank your for your question. With the improvements in our techniques for limited-incision facelifts, more and more patients are considering it at an earlier age. Yes, 33 years-old is quite young, but not unheard of. If you've tried less invasive procedures such as lasers, fillers/Botox, good skin care, and things like that without the results you wanted, then perhaps the mini-facelift is right for you. I would interview a few surgeons until you find the right fit. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon