What can I do about my eyelid? (Photo)

Hi. Something that has been bothering me lately are my eyes. I have a weird eyelid and I was wondering what I could do to fix it. I do not have a monolid, I have an overlap of skin right above my crease. The reason I don't like it is because it doesn't make my makeup look good and one eye looks much bigger than the other.

Doctor Answers 7

Possible conservative upper blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
See an oculoplastic specialist for in person consultation. You have mild asymmetric upper lid ptosis. There is also mild skin laxity. 

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Why do my eyelids look heavy?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From the photos you have many subtle changes that suggest you have a slight weakness or stretching of the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelid. This is called eyelid ptosis. In addition you have some differences in the shape and character of the eyelid crease. A consultation with an eyelid specialist (oculoplastic surgeon) will help to determine the best treatment for you.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

This is significant bilateral upper eyelid ptosis with profound compensatory brow elevation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is not a medical emergency.  This is most likely a congenital upper eyelid levator dehisence ptosis that has progressively worsened over a long period of time.  This can be corrected with ptosis surgery.  There are two approaches to ptosis: posterior or the conjunctival muellerectomy or anterior levator resection ptosis surgery.  You need an anterior approach surgery with an anchor blepharoplasty.  Do not see a facial plastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon for this.  Although you might find one that does ptosis surgery, they are not primarily trained for this type of surgery and often lack the experience, skill and training for this very specialized work.  For this reason you need to find a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS) has a website that maintains a regional directory that will help you find a highly qualified surgeon close to home.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

What can I do about my eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your left eyebrow is higher than your right.  Your eyelids can be made more symmetrical with upper Lid Blepharoplasty.

Fred Suess, MD (retired)
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and pictures.  It appears you have some weakness developing of your muscle which helps you to open your eyelid.  This can be repaired so good luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Asymmetric eye lids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your eyelid.

  • Your photos suggest that the problem is slight lengthening of the levator muscle that lifts the upper lid.
  • If you wear contacts, this can be the reason this is happening as they can stretch the muscle.
  • Please see an Board Certified Oculoplastic or Plastic Surgeon for a full evaluation and discussion of what treatment might be considered.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What's up with my eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank for sharing your question and photos. It is difficult to assess the problem well with the photos, but it appears you have mild ptosis (drooping) which can be corrected. See an Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of potential treatment options.
Good luck,

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.