I am female, 5"4, body fat percentage is 28%, and 152 pounds. Can I get smart lipo at 18?

I am an athlete and workout 5x a week intensely. I work so hard and eat so well, but I have always carry all of my fat on my stomach. I have tried so many things to melt down my fat but nothing works. I have had this fat since I was 11-12. My parents are on board with the procedure only if its minimally invasive and I am on a local anesthetic. Am I a good cadidate for smart lipo/vaser lipo? I cant deal with this fat any longer!!

SmartLipo at 18

As an adult at 18, it is your choice if you want to get Liposuction.  Based on your photos, I think you would get excellent results an are an ideal candidate.

But I also agree with Dr. Pelosi.  It sounds like you are already doing the right things, but maybe not in the right manner.  I would consider a nutritional evaluation.  But also consider DNA testing, such as Pathway Genomics.  These tests can tell you which diets, exercises, etc. you respond best to based on your genetics.  Not everyone responds the same way.  This is the test used on "The Biggest Loser" to individualize each contestants diet and exercise program.

Good luck to you,

Dr. Powell

SmartLipo at 18

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck to you,

Dr. Powell

Smart Lipo

Thank you for posting your question. From your pictures, you seem to have good skin elasticity. Smart lipo can be a great option for you as it uses laser to dissolve and permanently remove pockets of fat while at the same time tighten overlying skin. A tiny incision has to be made so the doctor can insert the cannula into your desired treatment area, but the incision site is about the size of a pencil. I would recommend meeting with an experienced physician for an in-person consultation to learn more about the procedure and your options. Best of luck.

Smart Lipo

Smart Lipo at age 18

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. Liposuction in general is good for adult patients at any age who are on a good diet, exercise regularly, and yet still can't get rid of "stubborn fat". You certainly seem to fall into this group. Many surgeons offer liposuction under a local anesthetic, or conscious sedation, but some do not. Any surgical decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation in person with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck! 

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Smart Lipo at age 18

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Lipo vs. diet

From you pictures and what you describe it seems that your problem might be partially genetics and partially an inadequate diet. In general exercise is great but does not really reduce weight and most current diets in our society are too high on carbs. A nutritional consultation would serve you well. If, on the other hand you definitively want to have liposuction it should be done with just tumescent technique and maybe a light conscious sedation. Genera anesthesia is just not needed. 

Good luck

Lipo vs. diet

Good luck

You might want to adjust your diet before jumping into lipo

You need a better eating plan. See a nutritionist who specializes in athletes and works with fitness models. No need for lipo. What's more minimally invasive than a better eating plan?