No results Erbium laser resurfacing after 2 weeks?

I had an agressive Erbium laser resurfacing combined with non ablative Erbium laser 2 weeks ago. The settings were high and I had a week downtime, so it wasn't a superficial treatment. I know the results improve over time, but is it normal that there's no improvement in fine lines whatsoever at this stage? I don't have deep wrinkles, it's just the fine lines and rough texture that I wanted to erase. So why don't I see results by now?

Depth, setting, and time.

A photo will be great.. but it is early days yet at 2 weeks, aggressive Erbium should at least treat fine lines, especially with a one week downtime. Can you post a before and now photo to help us? I tell all my patients to expect maximal collagen stimulation at the 2-4 months mark, so be patient. Before and after pics will tell the story. For more on laser resurfacing see the video below . Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Thanks for your query. It takes time to show results after any dermatological treatment and generally one sitting is not enough it takes a couple of sittings to show results and the same goes for erbium yag laser also. You should wait for a couple of days and if you still don’t see any change you can consult your treating doctor for further sittings. Hope it helps.
All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing

Two weeks is really too early to see much improvement after a resurfacing procedure. As was previously mentioned, it takes weeks, even months for collagen production. Often, especially after an aggressive treatment, it may seem the lines are still present or even worse.  This can occur as the skin heals and dries out. It is important to moisturize regularly in addition to sunscreen.  Consult your doctor about which products they recommend.

Jennifer Chwalek, MD

Erbium laser resurfacing

At this early stage I would not be concerned. Be patient and reassess after a full 2 months. If you still have concerns, speak with your provider. A revision laser procedure could always be considered.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Facial Rejuvenation SpecialistQuintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. The speed at which laser skin resurfacing takes effect differs among patients. Some patients may see results immediately while others require 2-3 months. At the 2 weeks post op mark, patients are unlikely to see significant improvement. Please discuss your recovery expectations and all other questions you may have with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Course of improvement after Erbium laser treatment

Collagen remodeling after any laser treatment is a process expected to take several months.  At only two weeks after your treatment I am not surprised that the results are not yet apparent.  Be patient and expect to see steady improvement over the next 2 - 3 months.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal at 2 weeks

Thank you for your question.You are very early in the recovery period for a laser. At 2 weeks it is completely normal to not see any results in the fine lines, at this point they may even appear worse.  The skin becomes dry after a procedure like this, so it can make the lines look deeper at times. The main thing is to stay protected from the sun and moisturize daily. Follow any instructions your surgeon has given you very carefully. You need more time to heal, don't panic. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks is early yet

Im not sure what laser modality you had but regardless..its early days yet.  Textural improvements can be seen early on but collagen remodelling can take up to 3 mos after treatment.  You should see ongoing improvements..if your goal isn't met than you may require further laser therapy or other modalities such as fillers or neuromodulators to help.