For large saddle bags, what is the best treatment?

Some of it is scar tissue from bursitis I think as they were swollen post pregnancy for about a year both times. I looked into cool sculpting but not sure how effective it will be as the saddle bags are large. I have 3 young kids so hesitant about recovery with liposuction.

Treatment for large saddle bags

CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool. CoolSculpting now has an applicator for thighs.  CoolSculpting had been used in this area with good results. See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  They will be able to tell you of the different options, (CoolSculpting, Liposuction, Direct excision, etc.).

CoolSculpting Can Be Effective

Although I can't say for sure what you can expect without a physical examination, I do think you can expect some improvement from CoolSculpting in the "saddle bag" area. However, the device only works on fat; scar tissue will be unaffected. Please be sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon for your treatment to learn more about the results you can expect. 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Saddle bags and Coolsculpt

Coolsculpting is the best non-surgical way to get rid of excess fat in the outer thigh or saddle bag area.  Good luck!

Coolsculpting and saddle bags

Coolsculpting will work in areas that you have pinchable fat. Coolsculpting will not work on scar tissue. I would suggest that you have a consult with a board certified dermatologist and or plastic surgeon that have Coolsculpting machines to see what your options are.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for Saddle Bags

Coolsculpting is an excellent non surgical alternative to liposcution for fat reduction. Coolsculpting permanently eliminates fat cells with no downtime. I would recommend an in person consultation to determine your candidacy and get an idea of how many treatments would be recommended. Often times patients benefit from 2-3 treatments. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Cool sculpting for saddlebags

Coolsculpting is a great treatment and will definitely help you, but do not expect a miracle after just one treatment. It will take a few to achieve desired results and I would recommend it in combination with RF treatment such as Venus Freeze or newer one- Pollogen Legend from Lumenis. Do not be discouraged, stay focused and you will prevail!

Best!

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Treatment for Saddle Bags

Assuming you have fat in your saddle bags, Coolsculpting is a great way to non-surgically reduce this fat and make the saddle bags look much better. It may take more than one treatment session to get the best results. See someone with a lot of experience.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saddle Bags Solutions--VASER HI DEF, ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting

Coolsculpting may help, but needs to be in combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Thermage, Vanquish, Venus Legacy with Z wave/Cellutone for best results. I recommend a hi definition procedure by someone very meticulous.  This takes precise treatment combining VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and lower back fat harvesting with fat transfer to your buttock/buttock roll to give you an amazing buttock and hip shape after all the contouring is complete. I recommend a formal evaluation with a hi def physique expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Treating saddle bags

There are many noninvasive treatments for this area. Coolsculpting, Vanquish, Sculpsure are the main ones. These should all work. Liposuction can be done with minimal downtime and I would also look into that option.

Steven F. Weiner, MD