I have a mesh in tummy from last ten years do you think CoolSculpting will help reduce my abdomen?

i'm interested in getting cool sculpting for my tummy but 10 years back i was operated of liposuction and hernia together but the stomach have started bulging out again without any pain maybe dietary affects. so do you think i can get cool sculpting for my tummy/abdomen area now?

CoolSculpting

Great question! It is best to first seek a proper evaluation by your surgeon who can determine whether a reoccurance of a hernia is present in the area. If one is present, then CoolSculpting can not be done within the area as it is a contraindication. Good luck! 

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Consultation is the best place to start

If you are experiencing bulging in the area of your hernia, it would be best to be seen by your surgeon, who can determine if your hernia is reoccurring.  If cleared by your doctor, a consultation with a certified Coolsculpting practitioner will help determine if you are a good candidate for the treatment.  Best wishes

CoolSculpting after a mesh has been inserted.

You should return to your surgeon to be sure the hernia has not recurred. If it has not, then CoolSculpting should be OK. Best Wishes, Maurice Vick MD

Maurice M. Vick, Jr., MD
Baton Rouge Urologist

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. A hernia is  a contraindication for coolsculpting. It is important for you to be evaluated by a doctor to make sure you are a good candidate for this procedure.  

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting after Mesh Hernia Repair--Consider VASER Hi Def

This is hard to answer without pictures and requires a consultation. Coolsculpting is good for stubborn areas of fat, however it won't help if the problem is related to your mesh and hernia. If it is fat, Coolsculpting works best in combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Thermage, Vanquish, Venus Legacy with Z wave/Cellutone. A VASER Hi Def revision with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting can also give you great results.  I recommend getting a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Hernia repair with mesh 10 years ago and now have bulge in "my stomach" will CoolSculpting help?

Hello roma99,

Thank you for sharing your question. From my experience your first stop should be to your surgeon to evaluate if this is a recurrence of your hernia, this is most important if you are considering CoolSculpting. You mentioned the painless bulge could be secondary to "dietary effects" this is also very important to know whether the bulge is "pinchable fat" or "visceral fat" which is deep inside the abdomen and unaffected by any of the non-invasive or surgical means to remove unwanted fat. Diet and exercise are the remedies for visceral fat. I personally would not perform CoolSculpting (nor is it recommended) over or very near a previous hernia repair with a mesh in place. Although you could consider one of the other non-invasive technologies such as UltraShape in your situation but the initial questions posed have to be answered to safely proceed. Please present to your surgeon first get the information you need before any further consideration on this topic. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Hernia Mesh and Coolsculpt

While people who have had hernia repairs performed with mesh can have Coolsculpting performed, it is important to make sure that your hernia has not recurred or that you don't have a new hernia first.  I suggest that you see your plastic surgeon and discuss your areas of concern, then allow him or her to suggest the best way to address your areas of concern. 

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

History of mesh for hernia, can I do Coolsculpting

I would check with your surgeon first. I would be concerned that there is a hernia again. If he clears you, then you can get the procedure done.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Mesh and Coolsculpting

It sounds from your description that this is a surgical problem and cannot be addressed with Coolsculpting.  You should return to your treating surgeon for consultation. Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting

I would recommend that you get a consultation and exam by MD before considering Coolsculpting. Active hernia is a contraindication for the procedure but if you had it repaired, you should be ok. Position of the mesh for hernias is usually under the fascia and will not affect CS treatment or results. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist