Can I prevent my top lip from disappearing and restore it back to normal?

My top lip is slowly becoming dry skin. It's loosing it's colour and I fear I won't have a top lip soon. My lip isn't sore but is constantly dry I put vasilene on at night before I go to bed. It's started to disappear at the top and round the edges but it's starting to make its way to the middle of my lip.

Doctor Answers 4

Dry upper lip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Looking at the photo you have posted it looks like you have extremely dry dehydrated lips, and the volume loss you are seeing is most likely related to this. It would probably be best to see a Dermatologist to see what is going on with your skin and lips and ensure there is no medical cause. While fillers will help improve the volume, it won’t likely help with the dryness issues your having. Also make sure you are drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily to ensure hydration. Good luck.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Please consult an expert to understand what is happening with your skin and the lips.  It could be that you need fillers and other treatments such as oxygen facials to help restore the balance.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Aging -- fillers, lasers, radiofrequency, tattooing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest to consult with an experienced cosmetic dermatologist to evaluate the underlying cause of your lip aging.  Fillers, lasers and peels do well in this area. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

You might also like...

Lip Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your concern, I would recommend conservative lip augmentation with Hyaluronic Acid, like Juvederm plus. This is a temporary fix, but a good place to start, to see if you like the result. Another option is fat transfer which is more permanent. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.