Scar Revision for Alar Base Reduction Scar?

I have this alar base reduction scar and some surgeons here mentioned that I need to do "scar revision" and things like dermabrasion won't help. So what is scar revision? Does that mean the surgeon would have to cut it again and stitch it back again so there is no step deformity there?

Revision of alar base scar

Revision would be one way of making the scar itself less obvious, but keep in mind that the relationship between nasal areas would be affected. Removing tissue in that area to make the scar flatter will also pull the edge of the nostril closer to the cheek skin which might make it look flatter. Your surgeon would have to evaluate you directly to see what might work. There are several things that can be done at the same time that will help to correct any undesirable change in nostril shape.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision

A revision of this scar would be the best option.  Many surgeons include revisions in the cost of the original surgery.  I would recommend seeing the surgeon that performed your original proceedure to see if that is the case.

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Scar

The scar would have to be excised and the wound closed. It also appears that you have  retraction of the left nostril margin. If that is true, discuss it with your revision surgeon.

Scar revision of nostril scar

The best way to treat this would be to excise (cut) it and repair the wound. If it involves any significant amount of tissue you may have to perform the same on the opposite side.

Alar reduction step deformity

Hi,

The picture you sent is somewhat blurry but it appears that you have a step deformity. This can fixed by excising the step and resuturing it. You may need some dermabrasion in the future as well.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Bad scar after alar reduction.

You are correct in that the surgeon would have to remove the old scar and resuture the new one and correct the step deformity.