Nose Too Short After Rhinoplasty - Will It Grow Out?

I had a closed rhinoplasty six months ago and my doctor shortened my nose too much. I'm a male and I'm 18 years old. I'm wondering if it would be possible for my nose to grow in the next few years (lengthen) and therefore alittle more natural like it was. Also my doctor removed fat from my upper lip, is it possible that this could grow back? Thanks..

Nose too short after rhinoplasty

IT is very likely that the nose will appear to lengthen as the swelling resolves so try to give it some more time (at least a  year.).

Short Nose after Rhinoplasty

A short nose will not grow 6 months after rhinoplasty. A nose may look over-rotated for a couple weeks after surgery secondary to swelling, but not at this stage. You will probably need a cartilage graft to increase nasal length. Talk to your surgeon or consult with an individual experienced in revision rhinoplasty surgery. Your lip fat will not return.

Over operated nose

The simple answer to both questions is NO. You have long passed the growth phase of the nose. If you are displeased with your outcome then you will need a revision. Dr. ES

Nose Too Short After Rhinoplasty?

Unfortunately, your nose will almost certainly lengthen after rhinoplasty and scar tends to pull the nose upward after a procedure - if anything.  However, without photos or specifics its important for you to address the details with your surgeon.  Fat can be replaced in the upper lip by fat grafting and this can be quite successful.  Discuss this with your doctor to see what options exist.  Lengthening a "over shortened" nose may require revisionary nose surgery.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Short noses won't grow longer with time.

Unfortunately, the nasal length will not increase with time. You need to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to correct this problem. I use grafts from the septum or ear to fix this problem. The fat will not return either.

Noses don't grow but they lengthen by natural aging over the years

Nose do drop following Rhinoplasty, but most of that occurs in the first 6 months following surgery. Alternatively, the notion that noses "grow" is incorrect. They don't actually  grow, the lengthen by the usual process of aging as does everything else in our bodies, eventually. The ligaments that hold the nasal cartilages to the nasal bones and to each other stretch. The skin sags and cartilages sometimes get weaker. However this process occurs over many decades.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Short Nose Result After Rhinoplasty Will Not Grow Back

Hi NN,

Best to address you concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon as he knows exactly what was done during your rhinoplasty.  In general, the nose will not "grow out" and lengthen once it has been shortened in an 18 year old.  Same with your lip fat.  Most likely, the only way to get your nose back to the "natural" way it was will be through a revision augmentation rhinoplasty.  Fillers or your own fat can be injected into your lip to restore volume there.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon