Removing Scar from Eyelid Surgery?

The scars from the incisions on the lower eyelids are still quite prominent after almost 6 months now.

Is there a product or treatment I can apply to reduce or eliminate them. I hear there are scar creams and such but I'm not sure how effective they really are for incisions like this.

I agree with Dr. fardo

I agree with dr Fardo, creams used arounfd the eye often make things worse after surgey rather than better.  gentle massage with Vaseline or a similar product may help and consider a fractional laser treatment if the scar is still visible after one year.

Scar guard or Silicone containing gels may help

Scar therapy gels with active ingredients such as steroids, Vitamins A and E and Silicone may help.  If persistent I would explore ablative or non ablative fractional laser therapy.

Richard D. Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need several months to heal after eyelid surgery

Hi,

It can takes months, even up to a year, to fully heal or see the true results after eyelid surgery. I would give it some more time.

In the mean time, you can always try a product, such as neaclear Scar Advantage, that contains Vitamins A,C, D, and E, cortisone, silicone, and liquid oxygen, which are all helpful in the healing process. This could help lessen the appearance of the scar.

If you are still concerned about scars once some time has passed, it is always a good idea to pay a visit to your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Eyelid surgery scar healing tips

It is always best to see a photo to get a better idea of the scar.

That being said here is what I can tell you:

a) Most lower lid scars heal quickly and well. Six months is a bit long to still have obvious scarring

b) In general scar can take up to 12 months to heal completely

c) Scars that are raised or red can benefit from a number of interventions before that 12 month period

d) Topical silicone scar gels can be helpful. Steroid injection (by the MD) into the scar can also be helpful

e) If these interventions do not help you may need surgical scar revision at 12 months.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone

For some the use of silicone containing products can help the appearance of scars. In fact it about the only topical product that has been proven vs things like vitamin E and Maderma to help the appearance of scars. Scars can take up to a year or two to fully mature. I hope yours don't. Stay out of the sun and use sunblock.

Removing Scar From Eyelid Surgery

Keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon.  Your surgeon can best guide you as to what topical or laser therapy would be most appropriate to improve the appearance of the scar. Topicals containing Vitamin A, Silicone or Vitamin E may help along with sun avoidance, but you should have the area evaluated by your surgeon first.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

Maintaining a moist environment with Vaseline massage may be beneficial.  Generally speaking, the thought process is to wait a full year to observe.

Hope this is helpful.  Best wishes.  Dr. Shah

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery :improving scars

Revision Surgery
Scar creams such as BioCornium can help. 
Revision eyelid surgery should be done at least 6 months after the initial surgery to allow time for healing and tissues to soften. Asymmetries, excess skin, fat rolls, fat malposition can all be improved. Other treatments may include laser or chemical peels to tighten skin and improve texture

Scar removal

At 6 months after your surgery, your scars should not be as visible as they were in the early stages of your recovery. They should be well on their way to becoming faint and thin, as mature scars normally appear. If your scars are still very prominent, I suggest you see your surgeon to have them checked out. A nonsurgical treatment can help, or you may require scar revision (which would be rare).

Lower eyelid scar following blepharoplasty

The treatment for a scar on the lower eyelid would depend on how it looked and how much skin is left. If the scar is not very noticeable, nothing should be done. If it is very unpleasant, laser resurfacing may be considered. If there happens to be enough skin left over following the operation, then revision of the scar is possible.