My lower lip protrudes more than my upper lip. What's a safe long term solution to have them equal? (photos)

I recently corrected my upper row of teeth which receded my upper lip causing an unappealing difference with my lower lip. - I have read here that injecting fat from my body is a possible longterm solution but needs to be done over intervals by a veteran in the field. The results last a decade, correct? - Should I inject my upper lip or philtral columns? If the latter, should it be internal or external? - I would like to keep the number of injections overtime at a minimum & low maintenance.

Doctor Answers 4

Lip Augmentation

Hello Hammud, 

Fat transfer to the lips is a predictable long term solution for relatively permanent change to your lip. I prefer fat transfer to implants because it is natural. Although, lip implants are also a permanent option, they can extrude or become infected. I recommend injection inside the lip and philtral column. 

Hope this helps.

Javad Sajan, MD

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Improving lips long term male

This might be more of a jaw problem than a lip problem. I would first seek out an evaluation by a maxillofacial surgeon. I think if you just correct the lip with fat, it will look abnormal.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Lip Fillers to Create Balance

I would simply inject a small amount of filler to your upper lip to create the natural balance. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

You might also like...

My lower lip protrudes more than my upper lip. What's a safe long-term solution to have them equal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  The most common non-surgical approach would be to use a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler such as Juvederm or Restylane to increase the projection and size of your upper lip.  Once an appropriate amount of volume to augment your upper lip is known, fat grafting can be performed to offer a more permanent solution.  Without being able to see your philtral columns with your full beard, augmentation is your own personal preference.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.