My face always looks sad. What can I do? (photos)

My face always looks sad. I am 35 years old. Many years ago i had some fat transferred to my nasolabial folds however i do not feel that it looks any better. If anything it may even look worse. My mouth always seems to have a downward turn too and when my face is resting It never looks attractive. Is there anything that I can do that is likely to help me? Also, soon I will undergo orthognathic surgery for an under developed lower jaw as per orthodontists recommendation.

Botox and Face turned down

A small amount of Botox can help turn the DAO's in the lower face and it is best to combine with a filler like Restylane Lyft.  Please consult a specilaist.  Best, Dr. Green

Treating Downturned Mouth

Dear irdeto:

Looking at your photo, you would benefit from Botox injections as well as fillers to the area underneath the lower corners of your mouth.  Best wishes.

Frownie treatment

This can be corrected using fillers and Botox. Supporting the corners of the lips with filler and relaxing the muscle that pulls down on the corners of the mouth. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sad Face/Post Fat Transfer/No Change--Combination: Fillers, Fat--See an Expert

My suggestion is an in person consultation with a laser and filler expert.  I suggest a combination of Botox, fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero)/Sculptra, or fat. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Turning a sad face into a refreshed, pleasant face

Congratulations for asking this question. Many people don't realize there are subtle ways of looking more refreshed and pleasant.  Your jaw surgery will help with looking less mopey, and filler and "Brotox" can help polish the look. Since the appearance of sadness doesn't come from one area of your face, little adjustments can make a huge difference. Only filling the nasiolabial crease or fold is a technique that can lead to unnatural results if that is the only area of focus for fillers. It's important to find a plastic surgeon that has a natural eye for your overall appearance- even on the areas not included in your photo.  People often leave out correction of the cheeks which can make you look old and tired or sad. Hope this helps. 

Michelle Eagan, MD
San Francisco Physician

Sad look

We humans are indeed sensitive to unspoken communication by facial expression, as are non-human species.  Wait until healed from orthognathic procedure(s), because your facial features will be changed.  If you're still frowning at rest, consider corner of lip lift, which will produce a more neutral expression, or, if you want, a subtle smile.

Steve Laverson, MD

My face always looks sad. What can I do

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination and discussion of your goal results I would advocate for dermal filler placement into your cheeks and conservative placement of dermal filler into your lips to help add volume and improve the downturned appearance of your lips.  If filler alone does improve the corners of your mouth, Bbotox can be added later to help.  Hope this helps.