Will I look top heavy? (Photo)

I went for a consultation & after being measured the surgeon suggested 550cc HP round implants(dual plane). he said that size is good to give me upper pole fullness and round out the bottom. He also said I can go bigger. I am now debating if I should stay with 550 or go 600-650cc. I'm just worried I will look top heavy or if I stay with 550 if I will regret not going bigger. I'm 5'3 194lbs(I don't look it) I do plan to drop 15 to 20lbs before surgery. I'm not too wide around my hips.

Will I look top heavy?

If you have small or asymmetrical  breasts then and you are not happy for this situation; then you can be a good candidate for breast augmentation operation. As it was also mentioned above,  small breast can be something that woman might want change. However choosing the right operation is the most important step in the planning of the operation. Therefore understanding the needs and the expectation of the patient is the most important thing and it needs a successful evaluation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Will I look top heavy?

Dear Cyndi,
Thank you for your question and photos.
When considering breast implants in the 450cc or above range, "looking top heavy" will be short lived. Gravity will pull the implants down and out( laterally) and will not be a good look for you. Choosing breast implants this large will unfortunately require future surgeries to put them back in place. Please visit the breast implant revision forum on this site to see the full range of risks and complications associated with dual plane placement of large breast implants. Please choose the smallest breast implant possible to minimize long term complications.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Look top heavy

The breast implant decision depends on the numeric proportions of each patient.  For experience in breast implant size is better to decide on the larger option.  We need to take in consideration that the breast loose up to 20% of the original volume. 

Dario Felipe Cabello, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

It is a bad idea to use photos as a means of communicating goals to the surgeon when the model in the photo has a different body type then the patient. The question of proportion is frequently interpreted differently between surgeon and patient, leading to confusion after surgery.  It is best to use in office sizers to see how you will look in the mirror. Given your height and weight, very large implants will not be flattering. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Will I look top heavy aafter breast implants?

Thank you for your question.  It is very important that you understand the asymmetry and difference in shape between your 2 breasts.  The difference in shape especially on the right side  may limit your ability to achieve the rounded  shape with nipple areola in the center  that you show as your desired outcome.

He already have full breasts and the addition of 550-650 cc implants is very large and could make you look top heavy.

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Fat Transfer/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Avoiding a Top Heavy Look

Have you tried on sizers in the doctor's office ?  This goes a long way in determining how the implants look on you, and in various types of clothing.  I will  make size recommendations based on how much your skin can safely hold, but the way the implants affect your figure is very much a personal decision that I want patients to participate in.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In my practice for cases like yours, I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicone breast implants ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Larger volume increases risk of malposition and asymmetry

Thanks for your question and the photos. I don't think the wish picture is completely attainable because the breasts shapes and nipple positions are different b/w the two of you. You appear to have a fair amount of native breast tissue. The most important thing is to choose the implant that fits on your base diameter. I'm guessing you are 13.5-14cm and 550CC is probably an upper limit. That said, statistically you are at higher risk of malposition and asymmetry as well as revision with these larger sizes. Going up to 650CC will only increase those risks further. My suggestion would be to get to your target weight and then try to do a 3D simulation. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member. The Smart Beauty Guide is an excellent resource. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

It all about your choice

You will look top heavy even with 550 cc HP implant.  Any bigger implant will make you even more top heavy.  It is not about size. It should be about proportions. If you have gracefull proportions there is should be no room left for regrets about size.
Think proportions.

Vasdev Rai, MD