Will I see a difference with half a ml of Juvederm in my lips? (photos)

I have an appointment at the end of this month for lip injections with juvaderm. I am very nervous as I do not want to look like a duck. Plus I start school 3 days later. I want to start subtle with just a half ml. But would I even notice a difference? It's $200 for a half ml, and am concerned I would end up spending a lot more because I won't see any difference and end up coming back. Do you think starting with a half ml is a good idea?

Half a syringe of Juvederm will make a difference in lips

Your lips already have nice shape and volume. I think a 1/2 mL of Juvederm Ultra would be sufficient to provide you with a subtle improvement.  

The good news about starting with a 1/2 syringe... No duck lips and you can always add more later!

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

You have natural, beautiful lips already

Thanks for your question and thanks for the photo. You do have very nice
lips now so please make sure that no matter what is injected, that someone
does not overdo things – to prevent the natural look that shows right now.
We recommend that you always have these injections done in the offices of
board-certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons as they understand the
fillers the best and the anatomy of the lips better than anyone. Juvederm
works well – a half syringe would be fine. Many would also recommend
that Belotero or Restylane Silk in the lips – they too work very well.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

You should get a result

Because you already have nice volume and good shape, you should get a good result. Be aware that you will experience some swelling for a few days after the injection so don't panic if you have a little too much volume until it settles down. You can use a cold compress to reduce the swelling.

Will I see a difference with half a ml of Juvederm in my lips?

I think 1/2 cc would give you a nice result when performed by an injector with a lot of experience.  Your lips have a nice shape, so it would just be to enhance them. This will not give you the 'duck' look.

Half a Syringe And Lips

Lips are very depedent on where the fillers are placed to get the ultimate results.  I suggest you speak to your physician about what you are looking to acomplish to see if half a tube will be helpful or not.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Using 1/2 A Syringe Of Juvederm On The Lips

Hi Lyss. You have pretty good volume and shape to your lips already, so half a syringe in the right hands can give you a nice, subtle enhancement. Just remember though that sometimes all your goals can't be met in just one treatment session and some touch ups and fine tuning may be required. Also, the lips do tend to swell and bruise after injection and depending on the injection technique used. So, you may still have some swelling once school starts. If this is important to you, you may want to give yourself a little more time. Make sure you choose an experienced physician injector. Best of luck to you!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Juvederm for subtle lip enhancement

Hi
You have pretty full lips to begin with, so I would think that 0.5cc of juvederm will be used to highlight your lip border (vermillion border) and your philthral colums/cupids bow.  That should be more than enough to start very subtly.  Any more than that and I would be concerned you "would look like a duck".  Please remember that hyaluronic acid fillers will attract water which will cause swelling in the area temporarily.  In three days, you may still be swollen from the injection.  Make sure you ice the area well, and some physicians will even have the patient take benadryl before or after the procedure to decrease the amount of swelling after the injection.  I would also ask about Restylane silk, which is a new product in the market, which is specifically made for lip enhancement.  
Hope this helped!

I have done  1/2 a syringe in lips before with Juvederm for people wanting subtle changes.  I think it's not a bad idea.  My preference is now Restylane Silk for a more natural, softer fill.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Is 1/2 a mL of Juvederm enough?

Hello Lyssbyss21,

1/2 a mL of Juvederm is very subtle and you may not notice a difference, especially since you have pretty full lips to begin with (at least from your picture).

I usually start my patients off with 1 full syringe, but the amount is really about where you start from and how full you want to go.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip injection with fillers

Thank you for your question.  You do have beautiful lip structure.  I would pose these questions to the physician who is going to be performing your injections.  You are wise for asking these questions but, ultimately, your decision should be based not on cost but whether or not the person who will perform your treatment is knowledgeable, experienced, and exercises good judgment

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon