Kenalog injection to lower lids 2 months after lower blepharoplasty. Heard Dr. request a "conservative" dosage. (photo)

My ps gave me a kenalog injection under each eye last week for my 2-mth followup. He had suggested it earlier in my 2-wk f/u because I still had swelling. I'm a bit nervous now after reading a bit on steroid injections to lower lids. So far a week after injection I'm not seeing much if any changes on the right puffier eyelid. I noticed this morning a thin red line on my left lid. I'm so worried now about tissue atrophy and indent. Will steroid continue to affect my lower lids for up to a month?

Residual under eye fat pads after blepharoplasty

What is the reason for getting the steroid shots ?  If it is to reduce puffiness under eyes, I don't think it would work as I see under eye fat pads. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

There is no reason to routinely use cortiosteroids injections during the recovery after lower eyelid surgery.

Perhaps you are having a particular issue that your surgeon is addressing.  If that is the case, most definitely less is more.  The steroids do cause tissue atrophy.  The benefit of the injection must be weight against its potent ability to also cause unintended harm.

Steroid injection to lower lid?

The effect of the steroid will last for 6-8 weeks and I would not have any further injections, At 6 months you should be seeing close to the final result.

Steroid Injections under the Eyes Post Lower Lid Blepharoplasty

Dear Pekkle, Not sure what your surgeon was addressing with the kenalog injection. I personally do not use steroid injections under the eyes and have no need for it in my post operative patients. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD