Eye bags or swelling after lower bleph 3 weeks ago? (Photo)

I had lower eyelid surgery to remove puffy bags under my eyes exactly 3 weeks ago. The surgery was done behind the lid, so no external incision. The surgery went with no complications, and the gross swelling that is apparent after surgery went away after 3 or 4 days. I also didn't have any obvious bruising. Went back to work in a week. However, my eyes are still puffy, and I can feel a firmness underneath the lids when I gently touch them. Is this the fat that is still healing? Will the bags go away?

Lower eyelid healing

So far you appear to be healing appropriately. "Final" results can be seen as early as six weeks after surgery, but more realistically you should wait around 3 months before drawing final conclusions. Be sure to follow up as instructed with your surgeon for in person examinations. Good luck! 

Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

You will have a much better idea of this at 3 months rather than 3 weeks.

It is pretty normal to still be somewhat swollen at 3 weeks.  From here the lower eyelid fat will generally be firm to touch, even lumpy.  All of this settles down but of course it takes time.  By month 3 or 4 you will have a fairly accurate idea of your result.

Healing after lower lid blepharoplasty

Your description of your healing sounds completely normal. The puffiness will continue to resolve - the firmness underneath the lids will also resolve with time - you are feeling edema and thickening within the fat pad area. This will become soft to gentle touch in 2-4 months usually. The contour will settle back some more with time. Be sure to follow-up with your surgeon so that he/she can reassure you that you are healing appropriately. Looking good in your photo!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post op lower lid surgery

You look like you are healing well.  Swelling can last for many weeks so you need to be patient.  After about 4 months you will have a good idea of the final outcome.  It is normal for the lid to feel a little firm at this point. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags or swelling after lower bleph 3 weeks ago?

I agree with Dr. Gordon, 3 weeks post op is much too soon to judge the results of a lower blepharoplasty.  It will take at least 3 months following the procedure to see the long term result.  Give things time to heal and avoid excessive salt intake in the meantime.  This will help speed the process.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What going on at 3 weeks post op

Thank you for sharing your question. Results from blepharoplasty cannot be determined until several months have passed. At 3 weeks post op blepharoplasty, you are far from healed. Wait a few more months and see your doctor for follow up.
Good luck,

Lower Eyelid Bleph Swelling

It is not unusual for swelling or edema post-transconjunctival blepharoplasty to last for a couple months if not longer depending on the circumstances. You are still in the early phase of healing, just give it more time before any decision is made regarding future treatment.

David S. Felder, MD
Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon