I have dark circles after lower eyelid surgery. Will they fade? (Photo)

I have had a lower eyelid blepharoplasty 10 weeks ago. Are the remaining dark circles expected to fade or not?

Lower lid surgery

You are still healing and the swelling should go down even more with time.  The darkness of the lower lid region may be permanent.  This is often due to having thin skin.

Dark circles after bleph

You will be healing for about 6 months.  If you had a lot of bruising after the surgery, the skin will often appear dark for many weeks.  It looks like you may also benefit from some filler to improve the shadow.  I am assuming the fat was removed and not repositioned.  Wait until 6 months before doing anything.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark circles after lower eyelid blepharoplasty

Your before and after photos show wonderful progress. The lightly in the photographs is coming from below and this tends to accent the shadows and contours. I would imagine that your eyelids look much better in natural light. Dark circles are a result of venous networks in the subcutaneous layers of the eyelid. Also, rubbing can cause inflammation in the layers of the skin and a dark, crepe-like appearance. If this dark appearance is still bothersome to you after another 2-3 months of healing, you may want to consider a pass of laser to minimize the discoloration. Filler along the maxilla (Juvederm Voluma or similar) might distract the skin and subcutaneous tissues enough to smooth the trough. Be sure to follow-up with your surgeon and see what he/she suggests for you. Best wishes on your healing.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon