Can I regrow hair on a large childhood scar on my scalp? It bothers me and is very noticeable. (photo)

Is there any at-home remedy? I have a pharmacopoeia of essential oils and herbs. Thanks. Anything helps

Can I regrow hair on a large childhood scar on my scalp?

There are a handful of options. Scar revision can remove the non hair bearing scar and bring the edges together which should create a much finer scar. Hair can be transplanted into the scar. Lastly, this option doesn't replace the hair, but in some cases medical grade tattoo can camouflage the scar and simulate hair follicles in the scar tissue. Please discuss further with an expert in your area. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scalp scar treatment.

Your scalp scar can be removed by cutting out the scar and closing it as I have done for 35 years. Injections will not do this. Hair transplants do not grow well in scar tissue.

Hair Regrowth on Scalp Scar

There is nothing that will regrow hair into a scarred area.  Hair transplantation sometimes works well.  I have tried progresterone injections with success in a few patients in combination with rogaine foam.  We would gladly see you in the office for injections if you want to try this option, it is not covered by insurance however.  Best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Can I regrow hair on a large childhood scar on my scalp? It bothers me and is very noticeable.

Organic Hair Transplantation” is a hair transplantation procedure developed in the Estetik International Laboratories. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades.

Hair regrowth

The best option would be a hair transplant into that area. Trying to cut out that area rarely works.

Jack Fisher, MD

Scalp scar

A properly done scalp scar revision should give a nice result for a modrst amount of work and price. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon