Is It Possible to Put a Fold in my Ears? (photo)

My ears do protrude out a bit, but that is not what really bothers me. What really bothers me is the flat top of my ears or lack of fold. I would love to have this corrected!!! Is it possible to correct this lack of fold, and, if so, what would the surgery entail? Thank you for any and all responses!!!

Doctor Answers 12

Yes a new ear fold can be created surgically.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your ear shape is a variation of normal. The antihelical fold is absent in your case but can be created surgically. The procedure is called Otoplasty and is a very popular procedure in our young patients. Here's some information about the surgery

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 114 reviews

Candidate for an otoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have the typical appearance of some one who would benefit from an otoplasty.  You have a deep conchal bowl as  well as absence or malformation of the anti-helical fold.  An otoplasty is designed to recreate these natural features.  In older patients the surgery can be performed under local anesthesia if desired.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Is It Possible to Put a Fold in my Ears?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, it is possible to create the natural fold in the upper portion of your ear. The procedure that would do this is called an otoplasty. This can be performed just on one side or both sides, depending upon which ear(s) trouble you. Seek a highly experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who has performed many otoplasties to minimize the risk of an natural result. I hope this information is helpful. 

Based on your photos, you appear to be a typical candidate requesting Otoplasty Surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You appear to have a deep conchal bowl, and absence of an anti helical fold. Outstanding ear like yours may be corrected with Otoplasty surgery through a scar in the crease between your ear and your head. 

There are two types of Otoplasty surgeries: cartilage-splitting Otoplasty, and suture Otoplasty. Natural looking results may be achieved with either procedure Surgeons usually prefer one over the other, based on their training and personal preference.

In our practice, suture Otoplasty  using the techniques described by Furnas and Mustarde are preferred.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph


Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

Otoplasty to create an anti-helical fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 One of the main goals of an otoplasty procedure is to re-create an anti- helical fold  by making incisions in the cartilage and placing permanent stitches to hold the cartilage to its new position. The incision is placed behind the ears and is very inconspicuous. The otoplasty procedure can be performed under either local or general anesthesia depending upon patient's desires.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Otoplasty for prominent ears that are not

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Otoplasty for prominent ears that are not "folded" can be corrected under local anesthesia.You need to wear a headband for a week and when u sleep.


Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Putting a fold into the ear = Otoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Putting a fold into your ear is possible. This is one of two aspects that are typically addressed with a procedure called otoplasty.

The fold that you are missing is called the antihelical fold and special techniques can be performed to create this fold in the ear. In addition, many people with prominent ears have issues with the whole ear sticking out from the head. This is usually due to too much cartilage in the bowl of the ear. A conchal setback technique can be performed to correct this.

See a surgeon in your area with experience in this procedure and he/she will be able to tell you whether your need one or both issues addressed. It is typically done in an operating room setting either under sedation or general anesthesia.

Good luck,

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Yes - the lack of a fold, and the protrusion go together

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there - you're actually very astute to notice the lack of a fold.  Many patients come in to my office to request an 'otoplasty' (also known as a pinning back of the ears), and I then educate them on normal ear anatomy, so that they understand how these folds are important aesthetically, and how they determine ear position.

The otoplasty procedure involves an incision that is well hidden in the back, and then stitches are placed through the back side of the cartilage to moderately 'cinch' the cartilage together and create a fold.  Every effort is made to match the opposite site as much as possible.

So in short, yes you appear to be a great candidate for an otoplasty procedure, which should correct the lack of a fold, and the protruding ear during the same surgery.

Scott W. Mosser, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Putting a fold in an ear

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the photos. In the adult with protruding ears, otoplasty is the standard method.   This operation is performed commonly.  Many adults are coming in to have their ears addressed nowadays. The surgery is usually very well tolerated. Best to see an experienced surgeon. Ask questions and look at his/her photos.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Otoplasty Candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello San Francisco-  Ears are funny shaped objects with many different named contours. From your photo, it appears that the 'superior crus', which is an extension of your 'anti-helix, is a bit flat. This superior crus can easily be given more of a fold with an otoplasty and it will make your upper ear appear less flat. If the part of your ear that bothers you the most is the lack of a well-defined 'helical rim', then this is harder to create. It may be that your slightly "flat" helical rim would't bother you as much if you addressed improving your 'superior crus' fold. That is probably the simplest approach for improvement in your case. If it is the helical rim that bothers you the most, make sure that you make that point clear to your surgeon during your consult. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.