Botox for enlarged parotid and submandibular glands?

I have Sjögrens Syndrome - an AI disease that primarily attacks the moisture producing glands. My major symptom has been enlarged & painful salivary glands despite having minor dry mouth & never suffering from salivary stones or infections. No treatments by my ENT & Rheumy have been able to shrink the enlarged glands. I've read that Botox can help reduce the size but neither my ENT or Rheumy are aware of this treatment. Would I be causing more problems if I were to try Botox for this issue?

Botox for salivary glands

Thank you for your question RMSN. Botox is usually used to treat wrinkles on the face, but it can be injected into salivary glands to decrease saliva production. Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease characterized by dryness in various glands such as those in the mouth, eyes, and vagina. There are other symptoms as well and a rheumatologist will be able to assess the condition and make recommendations. Since Botox leads to decreased saliva production and there is already low saliva production with Sjogren's syndrome I am not sure I would recommend Botox in the salivary glands to a patient of mine who has Sjogren's syndrome. If the glands are inflamed and enlarged, then specific treatment can be guided towards treating the inflammation. Please consult with a rheumatologist for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox and glands

Botox can shrink glands a little. My opinion is that it does so by essentially "drying them out" by preventing the nerves from sending the impulse to create and expel saliva. My only concern for you is that your glands don't work well already due to your Sjogrens. This could make any symptoms worse. If you do decide to try it, I'd recommend treating one side only and see how thing go. The effect should last about 3 months.
Andrew Campbell, M.D. Facial Plastic Specialist Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for salivary glands

Botox injection can reduce the size of salivary glands. I have used it to shrink the submandibular glands. The effect is temporary so I would suggest trying it on one side only to see if it helps in your case (you have the untreated side to compare).

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sjogrens syndrome and Botox

Botox has been used to inject the various salivary glands to decrease the amount of saliva. you should contact a board certified facial plastic surgeon to check about this

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox and salivary glands

Botox is a medication that is typically injected into muscles to weaken them to produce fewer skin wrinkles.
Botox has been injected into salivary glands like the parotid and submandibular glands for patients who produce too much saliva with fairly good success.
Patients suffering from Sjogren don't produce much saliva, so Botox does not help in that regard.However, there was an article in 2011 where ENT doctors used Botox to try to treat recurrent cystic parotitis in Sjogren syndrome. 
Botulinum toxin injection: a novel treatment for recurrent cystic parotitis Sjögren syndrome. Daniel SJ, Diamond M. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 Jul;145(1):180-1.
It's an isolated study and I don't know whether they were successful. Experimental treatments can have unknown risks, so please be careful. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon