What should I expect after Botox masseter for one month? Face slimmer or Botox starts to wear off?

I got the first time Botox on June 25, 30 units each side. After 2 weeks, I felt sore while I was chewing food and my muscle doesn't clench up anymore. However, it is almost 5 weeks, and I don't see any change. People around me don't see any change either. On the other hand, my jaws don't sore anymore. Also, I start to feel my muscles again (although they aren't strong). Now, I am wondering if I should expect to see my face slimmer at this point, or if my Botox starts to wear off. Thank you,

Botox for Masseter Muscle

It sounds as if you had the correct response and dosage with Botox.  Sometimes, it takes more than one treatment to see the muscle shrink and can occur over a period of months.  I would repeat the procedure in a few months.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox and Results

IF you are unhappy with the cosmetic outcome you can add more to the jawline, but that is if you were a good candidate to begin with  the results are subtle and should be appreciated by overlapping the before and after photos.  

Facial slimming with masseter injections

The dosing is good to see results. It appears you had weakening of the muscle. Duration of Botox in this area is about 4 months. Sometimes multiple treatments are needed to see slimming because it requires atrophy of the muscle to see this. I bet after another treatment, you will see results.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Results from Botox in the Masseter

Botox is commonly injected into the muscle on the jawline to improve the pain and discomfort from grinding and to slim the jawline. Botox relax muscles over a one-week time period.  After this week, patients will typically experience improvement of their pain and soreness and feel the relaxation of the masseter muscle.  
Shrinking of the jawline is secondary to atrophy of the masseter muscle. This process will occur over a 3 to 4 months time. I would wait until that time to judge the results. Before-and-after pictures can be helpful and objectively judging this limit of your jawline secondary to Botox in your masseters.
I hope this helps

Botox for masseter reduction

Botox for masseter is extremely effective at slimming the jawline when good relaxation of the muscle is achieved.  Especially since you have noticed your masseters have gotten softer, the muscle will show a visible difference in size over the 3-4 months that the Botox is active.  Most patients will see a slimming effect in 4-6 weeks after treatment, but rest assured that the muscle will continue to slim over the next 3-4 months.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Masseter Muscle Botox

It can take multiple treatments of Botox to this area before seeing any results.  I would talk to your doctor to see when they recommend for you to come in for another treatment and how many treatments they recommend for you to achieve the look you are going for. 

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question kittyjung2002. Botox is a
purified protein that is used to treat wrinkles on the face. It can also be
injected into the masseter muscle in the lower face to slim the lower face and
provide more of a heart shape to the face, instead of a square face. The
masseter muscle is used for biting so patients may be sore when biting or
clenching the teeth after a treatment. Botox can also lead to atrophy of a
muscle (making it smaller). This can take multiple treatments so it is
important to be patient. Please contact your doctor for specific
recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox for masseters and results

25-30 units per side is a good dose for the most masseter injection patients. Since you had good reduction in muscle activity after the injection, I suspect you may simply need to wait a little longer to see the results. Patients with bulky masseter muscles may require several treatments before they start to see significant reduction in the bulk of the muscle. I would wait a few more weeks and then return to your injector to discuss your results.

Botox in the Masseter Muscle

Thanks for your question!  Often times patients who get their masseter muscles injected won't see results until they are treated several times.  Hang in there and be patient!  Be sure to follow up within the next several weeks for your second round of injections!

Treating masseter with Botox

Thank you for your question. Your Botox is probably not as strong as it was right after it was injected but on average should be effective for at least 3 months. It may take a couple of treatments to see the "slimming" effect of the masseter muscle. I would suggest to follow-up with your injector in another 2 months to re-inject and evaluate dosing and expectations from your  treatment. While each person will experience different degrees of results, the results are usually subtle and will not completely change the shape of your face.