My jaw is swollen after temple Botox and fillers.

2 months ago I had both fillers and botox for my temples the same day. 10 days later I started to notice my cheecks were chubbier. I thought I was gaining weight. 3 weeks after the injections I started to feel pain when ywaning or even opening my mouth to eat. My teeth were not showing anymore when I smile. I even had a swollen thing at the jaw joint level when opening my mouth. My face changed, it s more squared.Could the Botox move? When will it wear off? Thank you

Swelling after Botox and fillers in the temples

Thank you for your question Ronellati. Botox and fillers are commonly used to contour the face. Botox can be used for TMJ. Usually the masseter muscle is treated in the lower face. The temporalis muscle is less commonly treated. Botox can move in the first day after a treatment and it is important to carefully follow the aftercare instructions: avoid heat, alcohol, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after a treatment and do not lie down flat for four hours after a treatment. Any of these things can lead to movement of Botox which can cause various side effect depending on the injection sites. Fillers usually do not move much. They may have been placed in an inappropriate place. Swelling is common after filler injections; this usually lasts up to two weeks. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox and Fillers and complications

It sounds as if either the Botox caused your face to change or was injected in the wrong area.  I would definitely return to your treating physician for examination  It would be very unusual to put Botox in the temples.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox and Filler in temple

The primary question is why you had Botox in the temples and what did you expect would happen with this treatment? If you've knocked out the temporal is muscle, you will get sagging of face and change in smile. Please see your treating doctor regarding your concerns since we don't even have pictures to assess.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and fillers - now facial changes!

Thank you for asking about your Botox and facial fillers.
  • Botox will not move - but it can affect the muscles that open your mouth and make you smile.
  • But it will not cause swelling at the jaw joint.
  • It is possible your filler has moved and you have a Botox effect on the facial muscles.
  • Please return to the doctor who treated you to be examined and to determine what is going on and what should be done. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS