3 weeks before Mommy Makeover. Should I keep losing weight until then?

I'm 3 1/2 weeks away from surgery. I saw my Dr. 2 months ago and advise me to get as closes possible to my normal weight. I have been since then in a nutritional diet combine with vitamins and 65 mg Iron a day and exercising 6 days a week. The results have been great but I still have 15 pounds more to go. I feel great and the results have been positive. My question is: Should I keep going with this diet and exercising until my surgery day even do I will keep losing weight? Thanks for the feedback.

Best to be at a Stable Weight for at Least 12 Months

It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. But it's great to be caring for yourself up until the surgery with exercise, healthy eating habits and additional healthy choices as the #MMO is not a substitute to weight loss.

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Weight should be stable for several weeks before mommy makeover.

Losing weight is a bit hard on the body so it's a good idea to stabilize your weight before undergoing a procedure that is as physiologically significant as a mommy makeover.

Losing weight

Your weight loss is a good idea.  I would continue dieting and exercising until your surgery day.  Losing weight will improve your results and is great for your health.  Both will benefit you after surgery.  Best wishes for your procedure!

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight before surgery

Losing weight before surgery is a good thing, so there is no reason to stop.  Equally important is to maintain your weight after surgery.  After your surgery you will actually gain weight which is due to water retention so don't let the discourage you in maintaining your results.  It can take a good month or more to lose that extra water weight.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Surgery and Weight Loss

Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regimen is important prior to and following body contouring procedures. It is particularly important to continue this regimen following your recovery from the surgery to enable you to maintain the results and have a good long term outcome. Hopefully, the results you achieve will give you even more motivation to continue a healthy lifestyle.

Bryan G. Forley, MD

When to stop diet before plastic surgery?

You need enough protein and caloric intake to heal your surgery.  So you do not want a drastic diet right before surgery.  Consult with your doctor and tell him/her exactly where you are in that process. It is easier to postpone the surgery for a few weeks to allow you to get to the desired weight than to drastically reduce your calories before surgery.  

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Wwight loss before surgery

As long as you are on a well-balanced diet with adequate calories and protein, you should continue with that until and after your surgery.

Brent Birely, MD

3 Weeks before Mommy Makeover. Should I keep losing weight until then?

Thanks so much for your question!  It is always a very good idea to keep on track with your healthy habits before surgery.  It will help you maintain healthy habits after surgery and you will have optimal results.  The closer you get to your goal weight the better the post operative results.  Remember you will not be able to exercise for six to eight weeks post operatively, so even if you lose more then you planned,  you will have some down time that may cause you to pick up some weight.  If you get to your goal weight, then you will be so happy with your body after your surgery.  Good Luck and keep working hard.

Dr. Lane F. Smith

Lane Smith, MD

As long as you get a reasonable amount of protein you should be able to continue your diet prior to your surgery.  Once you have had your surgery be certain to maintain a high protein diet with a reasonable amount of calories (at least 1800 cal.).  You will need at least this amount to help you heal.   Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your weight loss and exercise regime prior to your mommy makeover.  There is no reason you cannot continue to lose weight up until your surgery.  The main objective is to be at a weight that you are comfortable with and will be able to maintain.  Those who are fairly close to their ideal weight, and do not have major fluctuations in their weight tend to have the best results. Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon